Loss of drive

Boro

On returning from town this morning i was pulling into the gateway when there was a strange noise, i stopped and got out assuming i had driven over something, there was small branch in the gateway but that was it, later on i was on my way out again and turning from the lane onto the main road it made the same noise again, i at the time thought perhaps a steering lock bolt had worked loose or something and that a tyre was catching a radius arm, anyway about 500 metres from my destination and i turned off the road onto a steep hill and as i did so it made the noise again and then i lost all drive, stuck my hazards on and had a look underneath but could see nothing hanging off etc, selected difflock and slowly completed my journey, perhaps worth noting that it was fine round normal bends and on roundabouts it was only when doing a more L shaped turn (ie tight turn) that it made this noise, i then jacked up the near side front and tried rotating the wheel, it rotated freely yet with a slight noise, ok so i have broken something, my money at the moment is on a cv joint as it was making the noise on turning, however i recently overhauled the front axle and whilst in there replaced the cv joints for what looked like good second hand joints however these joints where filled with cv grease which had some muck in so i stripped the joints (removed all the balls etc) and cleaned everything up, could it be that in doing so i have damaged the joint myself? the only other thing i can think of is that one of my front tyres is new with approx 15mm of tread whilst the other is worn to about 6 or 7mm of tread, would this put extra stress on the shafts and joints? or can the diff handle this

that much wear in the tyres would not affect the driveshafts. it does sound like a cv joint has gone to me, from the fact that you can A) drive in diff lock B) turn the wheel when the diff is locked. the only other possibility is that a half shaft has gone.

Im inclined to remove the bolts holding the swivel seal in place and slide the seal back to see if i can see anything, ie cv balls or bits of metal etc, anyone see a problem with this?

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update, i ordered the appropriate gaskets, circlips and lock washer etc from landrover in readiness to strip it down and repair, finally got round to taking it apart today and it is the cv joint which has failed, the half shaft appears to have survived other than a tiny nick on the shaft, probably caused by being hit by a piece of cv joint, few seconds with a file will soon de bur that anyway, i need to decide not how im going to tackle cleaning the bits of metal out, i can either pull the swivel seal right back and wash it all out with some derv or similar or i can remove the swivel pins, disconnect the brake pipe and do it properly but thats more work :rolleyes: if i go the second route im inclined to replace the lower swivel bearing just incase it got any muck in it, now as they where both replaced a few weeks before this happened and have only covered 200 miles since being fitted do you think i really need to change the bearings race, as long as i get a timken bearing again is it ok to stick with the one thats in there as i fancy knocking a new lower race in with the swivel on the vehicle could be a pain