Engine / Front Diff replacement?

simonr

Has anyone tried replacing the engine in a Freelander with a longitudinal type - and replaced the front diff, built in to the gearbox, with a regular one - perhaps a rear diff?

Since they are both independent, it's likely that the drives to the front and rear hubs are similar.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Why, I hear you ask? I want to put an electric traction motor into a Freelander. If I was happy with rear wheel drive only, the job would be easy - just connect motor to in-line gearbox, to rear diff. However, my plan is to make something with selectable 4WD, probably using a Suzuki manual gearbox and transfer box.

Hence I would need to replace the front diff with something!

Any ideas would be good - no matter how daft!

Si

P.S. I'm also looking for a tidy 3 door convertible Freelander minus engine and box for the conversion - if any of you want a bit more space in your drive!

I'm about to sell a 5 door - let me know if you're interested as it'll save me finishing the head gasket replacement!

Al

What sort of cost? I'll consider anything at the moment!

Si

Can't offer much advice but would point out that the diffs in a normal permanent 4WD freelander have slightly different ratios although if you are going for selectable 2/4WD it probably doesn't matter.

Also you will need to have an interesting conversation with your insurance company (and possibly the DVLA)

Doing away with that might make the tyres last longer though :)

It was my plan to put the same ratio in front and back. Differing ratios and a VC is a nasty way of achieving torque biasing between front and rear IMHO.

Since it will be selectable 4WD with no central diff, this is even more important.

I can't find any reference to anyone doing this - surprising really. If I can't make it work - it will just become rear wheel drive.

Si