Hot LT230 Transfer Box

I recently did all the oils on my 300TDi and after my regular 30 mile motorway run, I notice a distinct smell of hot oil. The transfer box is too hot to hold my hand on, bit I don't notice any performance change.

The hot oil smell may just be because the transfer box is now full, I put in the wrong oil by mistake, it always ran hot, but I did not notice, I have a problem, other please specify.

Any suggestions ?

Regards

Richard

you can't fill it right up, as the fill plug is also the oil level plug, I hope you put EP90 oil in there.

I'm sure I filled it up correctly because I had to buy the TORX socket for the filler plug specially. I am also pretty sure I put EP90 in, but I was using a 1l MTF bottle, with a long tube, so could have put MTF or even engine oil in it in error. I'll probably just drain and refill.

I assume that a hot transfer box is distinctly not normal.

Regards

Richard

main gearbox needs ATF or MTF94 PUTTING ep90 IN HERE WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS, IT'S TO THICK FOR THE INTERNAL OIL PUMP TO PUMP AROUND.

transfer box needs EP90,

axles need EP90

& yes, both gearboxes get hot during working time.

main gearbox needs ATF or MTF94 PUTTING ep90 IN HERE WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS, IT'S TO THICK FOR THE INTERNAL OIL PUMP TO PUMP AROUND.

transfer box needs EP90,

axles need EP90

& yes, both gearboxes get hot during working time.

Western,

Just in case I did put the right struff in,

Mine gets hot as in I don't get burnt if I touch it, but it is too hot to keep your hand on. Does that sound too hot to you, or might it be normal working temperature ? (The problem is I never flet how hot it got before I did the oil change )

Regards

Richard

the gearbox has a torx head on the filler plug but the transfer box ought to have a square holed filler (insert a 1/2 inch drive ratchet into it to get off) the main gearbox takes atf and fills from the right hand side of the box, the transfer box fills from the back face of the box beside the handbrake drum. Excessive heat can be caused by the wrong oil but i'd look to see whether the handbrake is binding on as that would produce a lot of heat.

Dave

Western,

Mine gets hot as in I don't get burnt if I touch it, but it is too hot to keep your hand on. Does that sound too hot to you, or might it be normal working temperature ? (The problem is I never flet how hot it got before I did the oil change )

Regards

Richard

Sounds about right to me. Mine gets pretty hot to the touch. The whole thing is after all attached to an engine which is very hot so the heat from that will travel anyhow. Drain it and refill it for peace of mind you'll only keep worrying otherwise and if you make sure its right you won;t have to do anything other than check the level for a while. Also, check you have identified the boxes correctly - as Dave says above, the transfer box has a square 1/2 inch filler plug.

Western,

Regards

Richard

about right, I sure wouldn't want to keep my hand on my transfer box after a long drive.

the gearbox has a torx head on the filler plug but the transfer box ought to have a square holed filler (insert a 1/2 inch drive ratchet into it to get off) the main gearbox takes atf and fills from the right hand side of the box, the transfer box fills from the back face of the box beside the handbrake drum. Excessive heat can be caused by the wrong oil but i'd look to see whether the handbrake is binding on as that would produce a lot of heat.

Dave

This almost makes it sound like you have drained the transfer box(now no oil and therefore hot(ter)) and filled the gear box with EP90, I hope not though!

In a moment of distressing stupidity, I refilled the transfer box up through a blanking plug near the top of the casing on the passenger side. So it had about 4 pints too much. It is now drained down to the proper level, using the square drive filler plug.

Thanks all.

In a moment of distressing stupidity, I refilled the transfer box up through a blanking plug near the top of the casing on the passenger side. So it had about 4 pints too much. It is now drained down to the proper level, using the square drive filler plug.

Thanks all.

OOPS :unsure:

glad it's all OK now. :D