What are these for?

Ok, I have made a start on the cam belt change and am awaiting parts. During cleaning the intercooler out with thinners I noticed that the core is leaking :( and the rad is on its last legs :angry: so these need to be ordered too. I'm just debating fitting a Brunel uprated cooler in advance of injector pump, EGR, and possible bost tweaks but don't know if I can stretch the budget just yet as there is a whole heap of other parts I know I will need.....bushes, ball joints, dampers............Does anyone have a spare 300tdi IC going cherpy cheap cheap?

Anyhow back on topic, whilst waiting for parts I've started to clear some of the muck out of the cab (ex-small holding Landy) and found 3 sets of wires under the centre front seat base. Can some one shed some light on what they are for?

I will be removing the EGR system in due course but what are the 3 terminals? One is a black rectangular multi plug just in shot, one in the centre has a 7.5amp fuse fitted and lastly the round plug that contains 3 pins???

post-16447-1242947691_thumb.jpg

post-16447-1242947899_thumb.jpg

Many thanks,

Lee

Ok, I have made a start on the cam belt change and am awaiting parts. During cleaning the intercooler out with thinners I noticed that the core is leaking :( and the rad is on its last legs :angry: so these need to be ordered too. I'm just debating fitting a Brunel uprated cooler in advance of injector pump, EGR, and possible bost tweaks but don't know if I can stretch the budget just yet as there is a whole heap of other parts I know I will need.....bushes, ball joints, dampers............Does anyone have a spare 300tdi IC going cherpy cheap cheap?

Anyhow back on topic, whilst waiting for parts I've started to clear some of the muck out of the cab (ex-small holding Landy) and found 3 sets of wires under the centre front seat base. Can some one shed some light on what they are for?

I will be removing the EGR system in due course but what are the 3 terminals? One is a black rectangular multi plug just in shot, one in the centre has a 7.5amp fuse fitted and lastly the round plug that contains 3 pins???

post-16447-1242947691_thumb.jpg

post-16447-1242947899_thumb.jpg

Many thanks,

Lee

I too have that lot under the center seats of my two 97 300Tdi s.

I 'guessed' that the plug was for some form of egr diagnostic check.

Not wanting to open any 'cans of worms' I simply blocked the pipe going to the diaphraghm unit, and left everything else in place.

That was about two years ago, as a result, the egr system, has 'perfectley' not worked ever since..

This is not enough help for you to understand that lot under there, but if you ever do, please let us know.

Best regards.

Howard.

The round plug with the 3 pins in the second pic is the diagnostic plug for the EGR ecu.

The fuse carries +12 V to the OBD diagnotics socket (alarm, immob) which is a 8 pin x 2 rows (16 pins in all).

I don't spot the OBD socket in your pics but maybe that's what you referred to by "black rectangular multi plug".

I only see something if I replace 'right' with 'left' in your description.

Yes, that could be it, the OBD socket. If it has 2x8 pins then that's it.

Doh, sorry should be left, not right :rolleyes:

duly edited to read correctly

Thanks for the info. I presume that I can omit the EGR ECU (as previously mentioned I am going to remove the EGR valve anyway). Then the 3 pin EGR diagnostic plug and loom can be removed.

Regarding the 12V supply/ fuse and the OBD connector - Are they both necessary for normal functioning of the alarm and immobiliser (mine still works.....for how long who knows)? If they are not then I can get rid of these too? How is the OBD alarm/immobiliser system utilised/ what is the purpose of it?

Reason being I am fitting a centre seat and could do with tidying up what looks like an after thought of loom. If there is no gain from removing the OBD and 12V fused sockets I will leave them there and just remove the EGR ECU and related electrickery.

Cheers,

Lee