Replacing rear body crossmember RRC

Dridze

Hi guys,

Just been searching for some info of replace the rear body crossmember of my RRC (that rotten thing my lower tailgate is hanging on to ;) ), i know i saw some pic's here some time ago but can not find them anymore :(

Anyone to point me in the right direction and maybe some other info.

Thanx in advance..

O, and is that replacement crossmember Paddock sels any good, or better make one myself?.

I'm sure many members will agree that if the rearmost cross member is rotten then the intermediate members and floor pan and inner wheel arches and so on may also be in need of repair - as mine did:

post-7113-1243021548_thumb.jpg

Steve,

Lucky the floorpan etc is already replaced :) they tried to weld the holes in crossmember <_< and done a bad job, so because i am already made things free to give it a good check i mite as well replace it.

There is a member here who made some nice pic's of the process of replacing the crossmember and i am looking for that.

Looks like you have some work too B)

O, and is that replacement crossmember Paddock sels any good, or better make one myself?.
The Paddocks one is very good value for money. At their price, making one yourself is just not cost/time effective. The only mod I made was to fully weld all the seams. The ends are open and I left them that way so that air can pass through and dry out any moisture.

I made things easier by removing the whole rear doorframe but that may not be an option on younger vehicles. I made things easier by removing the whole rear doorframe but that may not be an option on younger vehicles. Remember to take loads of measurements and to keep everything square. I read some tales of woe involving tailgates not lining up so I welded a bar across the gap before I removed the rotten crossmember.

I too used one from Paddocks, it's a good fit. I welded up the seams along their full length and I also welded plate over the open ends. THe original item is closed at the ends, and I looked at it like this. It's a box structure, with the ends open the box is not complete and may not be fully strong. Of course I popped a couple of holes in it and blarted it full of waxoyl when finished.

I have been taking the RR apart B)

i now try to post some pics.. :P

My workshop :D

DSCN0012.jpg

The crossmember, guess i buy a new one from Paddocks this week ;) as you can see the former owner did a bad job of trying to fill the gaps..

DSCN0013.jpg

Yes i know i need a new exhaust too :lol: