Good quality drill bits

J@mes

Anyone got any suggestions?

Want 1.0mm 10mm in .5mm increments but dont want to spend a fortune. equally, I dont want to be stopping halfway through a job because the bit has melted.

cheers!

Buy a cheapo set plus a bench grinder with what you save. Learn to sharpen drill bits (there's a good post in the tech archive) and you will have sharp bits ever more!

Dormer etc are great if you cannot sharpen them - but a waste of money if you can!

Winzur Worth bits are good value and every bit as good as Dormer IMHO.

Si

Whether you can sharpen drills or not, cheap drills are not a good idea (you'll end up sharpening drills a lot!) I would recommend Dormer or Cleveland.(but there might be some other 'good value' brands that work well)

Whatever you buy, make sure they are HSS not Carbon Steel or Tool Steel.

AD90

Buy a cheapo set plus a bench grinder with what you save. Learn to sharpen drill bits (there's a good post in the tech archive) and you will have sharp bits ever more!

Dormer etc are great if you cannot sharpen them - but a waste of money if you can!

Winzur Worth bits are good value and every bit as good as Dormer IMHO.

Si

Couldn't agree more as long as they are from a known source and are HSS you will be fine...

Same with bench grinder, please don't waste your money on a drill sharpener, unless your are willing to spend about 3 grand on a S/H one they are a waste of time, once you get the knack a quick twist of the wrist and your done! If you don't have a drill gauge,just put two plain nuts together and you got one, ok its 120deg but close enough and will show you if your angles and lands are even...

We use Winzur Worth at work and they are very good. However on tough material such as stainless or for drilling out broken bolts etc Dormer are still the best by a huge margin.

I have a selection of Dormer drills in my toolbox from my MOD days and they will even drill out most self tapping screws. I have never come accross any other drills which will do this.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Want 1.0mm 10mm in .5mm increments but dont want to spend a fortune. equally, I dont want to be stopping halfway through a job because the bit has melted.

cheers!

I have two sets of them ones in a blue box from Lidl, use them on stainless all the time. Cost €9.99 a set, have one set in garage and one in van, they been good.

a set from aldi is what I already have - bought them for putting a decking together as it came with a large selection of wood drills. but the HSS bits are absolutely junk.

thanks for the replies, plenty to think about!

I have a set which I built up over years and then bought an empty box to put them in, when I break or lose one I replace it with one from homebase, they sell their own range of drills, HSS, nothing flash but they are very good.

Obviously i'm just an occasional user though. :rolleyes: