how to get into winch challenge events

ok im realy intrested in winch challenge events, but im totaly new to this sort of stuff and have no idea how to get into it all

ive seen that some (maybe all) events need to qualify to MSA standards, so thats something else i need to learn all about and need to join....

ive alread got a quite moddiefed discovery, and im in the prosess of doing loads more, but its only been used on play days, which i think is abit of a waste....

im ready to make/install a roll cage, but im worried that if i want to get into events its going have to be up to standards, or im i worring to much????

basicaly i need to know all the ins and outs on getting into this sport

thanks

Ey up DiscoV8

Come along to one of the events especially early, talk to the lads, get close to scrutineering to get a good idea of whats going on, download and read regs from the AWDC or the BAD LRC website and study them, basically do your homework and then your ready, your far better doing the above before you start your cage etc and then save yourself a lot of pain if its not right, because the work you have been doing failed to meet regs.

Next Howlin Wolf (2 weeks off) is only an hour away near Corwen, LLangollen (sorry about spelling) and what better place to learn.

Follow threads for the Northern Winch Challenge, ideal starting ground, or the Challenger Clubman series run by Lucy and Paul Bass, who will do their all to help you.

what he^^^^^^ Said

come and have a look at a few different events there are quite a few different ones going on, you may get a better feel for it if you marshal for one or two and Neil and his merry helpers are always looking for a extra pair of hands, this will give you a chance to chat and be a bit nosey at how other teams build, work and shout at each other

if your at Corwen and you find a purple SJ (whats left of it) come and have a chat

Nobby

The rules aren't that difficult to comply with, you don't currently need an MSA spec cage, in fact you don't currently need a cage, however, if you intend to fit one then it doesn't make sense not to make it to MSA spec.

The most difficult part of getting ready to compete is finding a co-driver who can stay focused and fast all day and who you still want to talk to at the end. :blink:

If Corwen is reasonably local to you then pop allong and see what it's all about, you'll see people upside down and everything! :rolleyes:

ok im realy intrested in winch challenge events, but im totaly new to this sort of stuff and have no idea how to get into it all

Forgive me if Im teaching Grandmother to suck eggs.....

What type of off road driving experience do you have?

If very little, then it may also be worth joining your local Trials club and gaining some experience.

If experienced, accept my apologies and go for it!

Forgive me if Im teaching Grandmother to suck eggs.....

What type of off road driving experience do you have?

If very little, then it may also be worth joining your local Trials club and gaining some experience.

If experienced, accept my apologies and go for it!

this is what i mean, i dont know anything about the sport and how to get into it, expert or beginner

i wouldnt say ive got loads of experiance, but i have had plenty of off road practice on some extreme terrian. no real practice using my winch properly in an event..... you cant realy say pulling some 1 out of a hole with a winch like ive done is good practise for an event.....

i just want to start at the bottom and work my way up

In that respect I'd recommend trying some clubman level challenges, the ones organised not to far away from you by the Midland Offroad Club (http://www.midlandoffroadclub.co.uk/challenge.html), would be ideal as they are friendly and even though they are competitions you can have an awesome day working within your own experience at your own pace with marshalls and other competitors around you there for advice if you are unsure.

Also what about your co-driver? Try and get an experienced one, I've done a few of the Howling Wolf events last year, and would be willing to sit in with you before and on an event if you wanted?

this is what i mean, i dont know anything about the sport and how to get into it, expert or beginner

i wouldnt say ive got loads of experiance, but i have had plenty of off road practice on some extreme terrian. no real practice using my winch properly in an event..... you cant realy say pulling some 1 out of a hole with a winch like ive done is good practise for an event.....

its a shame you live so far away from the south west , James aka JST does a thing called a drivers daily challenge , its a great start and an insight to prepareing yourself for a winch challenge and he uses sites that full blown comps are held on .

http://www.4x4adventures.co.uk/_main/intro..._event_days.htm

We all started out as beginers, anyone who says otherwise is telling lies, Go and watch as many events as you can, talk to people, ask questions, Build your truck and then enter whitch event feels to be the best for you, the experiance will be gained as you go, learn from your mistakes, we still make them, But most important is have a good laugh while doing it,

Carl.

i to wish to start competing, so have gone to the last few howlin wolfs to watch :) everyone we've seen / spoken to have been very friendly - thanks :)

but one thing problem i've learnt from going to events.... is you end up spending money when you get ideas for more toys LOL

G

In that respect I'd recommend trying some clubman level challenges, the ones organised not to far away from you by the Midland Offroad Club (http://www.midlandoffroadclub.co.uk/challenge.html), would be ideal as they are friendly and even though they are competitions you can have an awesome day working within your own experience at your own pace with marshalls and other competitors around you there for advice if you are unsure.

Also what about your co-driver? Try and get an experienced one, I've done a few of the Howling Wolf events last year, and would be willing to sit in with you before and on an event if you wanted?

im expecting adam to phone me anyday asking :rolleyes::lol:

however.......as much as i like his disco, im not so keen on that ugly looking thing under the bonnet :P:P

im expecting adam to phone me anyday asking :rolleyes::lol:

however.......as much as i like his disco, im not so keen on that ugly looking thing under the bonnet :P:P

oi you!!!!!!

leave my bloody V8 out of this, theres nothing wrong with it, i think your just worried if you see me oneday at a winch event with my V8 barbling..... TOO MUCH POWER :D

anyway stop slagging my disco off and help me out abit with trying to get into what you call "your favourite sport".... i need to know what i can i cant do to my disco and what else i need to have

not all clubs/events run to MSA spec but as Nick says if your thinking of going the whole hog get an MSA approved cage would be my advice.

i would start at the local level and go from there, go to some fun events and have a look around first, HW could easily put you off or make you think its too £££ or just too much (or not enough) start small and build from there. build on individual experience by watching first then put it into practice where you know there will be people around to help out if needed.

The most difficult part of getting ready to compete is finding a co-driver who can stay focused and fast all day and who you still want to talk to at the end. :blink:

and when Nick finds one i am sure he will let us know!!!

oi you!!!!!!

leave my bloody V8 out of this, theres nothing wrong with it, i think your just worried if you see me oneday at a winch event with my V8 barbling..... TOO MUCH POWER :D

anyway stop slagging my disco off and help me out abit with trying to get into what you call "your favourite sport".... i need to know what i can i cant do to my disco and what else i need to have

V8 = Good

Disco = lots of dented body work and smashed windows.

PS I winch challenge a v8 90, just make sure your transmission is strengthened :-) and your wallet is big (or you have a company fuel card)

oi you!!!!!!

leave my bloody V8 out of this, theres nothing wrong with it

I think there is something wrong with it... there's too much bodywork on it to haul around!! :lol:

As it is you'll smash your headlights, indicators front and rear, rear side windows and possibly the alpine windows, so chop most of the body off and bull nose and trayback it!!! :rolleyes: it'll be a lot easier to position and drive, plus lighter and more agile. Then get it caged up properly by one of the professional companies, North off road and Whitbred spring to mind as respected companies which will supply and fit roll cages.

My suggestion is to keep it simple to start with. I.e. use the vehicle you have. Bear in mind you will dint it. Once you have a few events under your belt you will be able to decide if you want to spend more and what on, otherwise you will spend ££££ and in a year or two wish that you had gone a different way. I.e. You will decide you want a less bulky motor quite quickly, so don't spend up on the disco. It also helps if you can develop your fabrication and mechanical skills - keeps the costs down.

I you want to learn quickly try and find a good knowledgeable navigator - You will pick up the game far more easily and at the end of the day the navigator should always be the best member of the team.

Adrian

I think there is something wrong with it... there's too much bodywork on it to haul around!! :lol:

As it is you'll smash your headlights, indicators front and rear, rear side windows and possibly the alpine windows, so chop most of the body off and bull nose and trayback it!!! :rolleyes: it'll be a lot easier to position and drive, plus lighter and more agile. Then get it caged up properly by one of the professional companies, North off road and Whitbred spring to mind as respected companies which will supply and fit roll cages.

dont worry, most of them have already been smashed off :lol::lol:

V8 just the job, But the Discovery is bulky and needs the back end cut off to the rear wheels, the rear roof will get in the way and even trap you in a wooded areas.

Unless your going to tray back it, then it might be worth looking for a Defender 90.

I had a cheap Defender truck cab with 2" spacer lift and roll cage, front and rear winches, but for me was the V8 auto. So much more control except on hill decent, but then you have brakes for that.

Good luck, but remember if you like it becomes very addictive so try and keep to your budget.

The Disco will be just fine. 100" wheelbase, v8 motor etc,etc,etc. There are to many bling 90's out there and it is nice to be different-all that glitters is not gold. But be warned it WILL end up looking like this. Just noticed that its not like that anymore as i have taken the doors off.post-3417-1243500778_thumb.jpg

I have only just seen this post.....

I am still very new to the challenge scene, The first event I went to was Mike Wolf challenge last november, I was also competing in it! So I decided to jump straight in to it and get out there competing! The next event I did after that was Howling wolf at wellington. I have been to 6 challenges so far and competed in all of them. It is always good to find a more experianced co-driver than your self which helps massively (so atleast one of you have an idea of whats going on). I have also found that almost every I have met and competed against will always do the best to help you out!

So go for it build a car and get out there :D

Dan

I have only done a few local winch challenge events so far and I think that's what I'd recomend, rather than jumping straight into the Howling Wolf or similar national series. The local club events seem to set a wider range of punches to suit all standards, down in the South the Hants and Berks events are particularily good for this.

The local club type events will also suit your full bodied Disco better while you get a taste for it. My first challenge was done in a full bodied Disco with 1 winch, 32" tyres, a lift and thats it - obivously it came home without a straight panel and a busted halfshaft!

When you know how much you enjoy it and know a bit more about what gets damaged then you can go done the full cage, tray back 38" boggers route.

If you think you want to try, then have a go, but don't expect to be a prize winner ;)

A fella I used to know got more and more into this, and I went along to film and photograph his exploits for the local 4x4 group newsletter I was editing at the time.

It looked like a laugh, and my Series IIA swb was getting more and more equipment, so the following year I entered the local round of the Optima Winch Challenge (actually the July 2000 round, my how time flies)

My brother and I were hopelessly out classed. But we had a laugh and tried not to get in the way of the nutters deliberately driving into trees to get nearer a punch. For two days we slipped and slithered round the forest laughing our heads off.

I'm honest enough to say that my mechanical sympathies stopped me continuing down that route....

Much to my mates annoyance at the time, I came out with a nice Silver plate for winning the team spirit trophy :lol:

oh im not worried about damaging her or even breaking her...... you should see the state of the body at the moment, there isnt a straight pannel on her including the roof.... she did used to be a cracking daily drive for me but after getting more and more into offroading i was pushing harder and harder to go the extreme route and things started to break more regular, ive broken 2 detroit locks, auto gear box, half shafts, ripped heavy duty bumpers in half, ripped of wings, poped out lights, bent my track rod about 90 degrees, ripped tyres completely off the rims.. so you can emagine its not in the best condition :D ..... so now she is been cut down to size and then trailered everywhere......

ive already learned that the body of the disco isnt the best size for off roading so this is why im collecting info on challenge events..... dont want to spend time and money building her up to find that some events wont except her mods.....

ive noticed that some places wont except locking diffs,but some of the people that go there have them, so how do you get around that????

There are usually different classes depending on what modifications you have

broadly they are along the lines of:

Standard - ie standard car with 1 winch (it's a winch challenger after all)

Standard +1 - Same as above with 1 winch and 1 other traction aid - ie another winch, a locking diff

Standard +2 - as above with 2 aids

Modified - all mods are allowed.

To further complicate things, tyre size rules can be applied - for example a maximum of 35" might be in place (and is might be physical size - ie bloke with a tape measure or stated size - ie whats printed on the side of the tyre)

There can also be restrictions on silhouette - ie the bodywork still has to resemble a land rover (particulalry with ARC rules) to stop people using tubed buggies, bobtails, traybacks etc.

There may also be a stipulation for the vehicle to be road taxed to run in some classes, so if you already trailer everywhere, that could be an issue...

The classes above are not fixed, just some examples of ones I have come accross. You really need to work out what competitions you want to get into, and look at thier class structure. Most will allow big tyres, multiple winches and Lockers, but will likley put you into a 'modified' style class.

Have a look on the AWDC website, and the Challenge Southwest one for some idea of how the class structures work...

Mark