OK UPDATE ON WORK DONE BUT WITH NOW PROBLEMS!!!help!&#

Hi everyone, ok after my last posts about injectors ect I have now completed alot of work on my engine but have some quite major problems!

Here's what ive done, ive fitted: new bearmach injectors and one new pipe but had them all off at one point.

: 4 new hotspots

: 8 new valves

: 8 new valve stem seals

: 8 new valve springs

: 8 new spring cups

: 8 new valve caps

: 4 new heater plugs

: new head gasket

: new rocker gasket

: new top and bottom water therostat gasket

: new sump gasket

: new waashers ect where needed

: new oil

: new coolant and water

: adjusted the valve gaps

I have done lots of mechanical work before and took alot of time over this work and thoroughly cleaned all parts and mating surfaces and the head itself I spent a good few days cleaning out.

But now after all that I managed to get it to start after bleeding the fuel system and couldnt believe my eyes and ears after all that work, BELLOWS OF WHITE SMOKE AND ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE CLANGING NOISES AND VERY BAD BAD RUNNING, IT FILLED THE WHOLE AREA WITH SMOKE AND I TRIED LETTING IT RUN TO CLEAR OUT AND IT GETS WORSE.

IM TRYING TO THINK WHAT IT COULD BE, DONT UNDERSTAND THIS ONE AT ALL????

COULD IT BE INJECTORS PIPES ON THE WRONG WAY??

CAN SOMEBODY WITH A LAND ROVER 90 4 CYLINDER 2.5N/A 1985 TELL ME HOW THEIR INJECTOR PIPES ARE NUMERED AND WHICH GOES WHERE ON THE INJECTOR PUMP SO I CAN RULE THAT ONE OUT???

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP HERE??? REALLY STUCK??

ANY IDEAS LES, WHITE 90, ECT??? :huh:

mmm funny you should suggest that Western as I was thinking about that but had sort of ruled it out as I havent touched the timing whilst doing all the work.

Anyway, could it really be the timing even though i havnt touched it, if so how to i go about doing it???

Just a question, timing seems probable BUT it was running reasonably well before on the timing aspect of things as i drove it all the way back from Bridgewater, somerset to Hereford (90 miles with no probs and used it since but was playing up now and again and was having trouble starting and fuel leaks ect so i decided to give it a uplift with all the parts i put on new. With all that in mind, do you really think its worth stripping all the stuff off????? Given im not a top expert but im just wondering whats best with that in mind, appreciate your continuing help,thanks,ju

as you mentioned clanging & banging above, I'm wondering if one or more hotspots have dropped out,

who fitted them you or a engine workshop ?

only way to confirm if they are securely in place or have dropped is to remove the cylinder head.

as it was running fine before all the listed new parts/work, I can't see any other reason for it to be running rough.

yes I did think that but I fitted them and boy were they a tight fit, i used an old hotspot with the smooth face against the new smooth face to knock them in with a hammer and a tiny amount of oil on the edges. they were a real nice fit and solid too. The new injectors by the way were bearmach ones and two were such a tight fit that I had to sand them down lightly around the edges with some masking tape covering the needle end to stop dirt and them had to gentle knock them in with a small piece of batten just on the flat fixing part where the bolt holes are, I was very careful not to hit the top. Do you think its possible that they are either damaged or faulty even though new? ;)

Bit surprised the injectors were tight - mine are a very easy fit - I don't think they need to be tight since the sealing is done by the crush washer at the bottom. I'm definitely no expert compared to the other guys here but if they haven't seated properly then I wouldn't be surprised if it runs rough / loud / smokey (similar to retarded pump timing).

I guess another possibility is one (or more) of the valves not fully closing (and possibly some piston contact at TDC) - did you notice anything funny when you did the valve adjustment (one tappet screw showing lots more thread than the others?). Having just done an almost identical overhaul what *almost* happened to me is that I got one of the pushrods up on the edge of the follower when I put the rocker assembly back on (imo it's quite fiddly to get all the pedestals AND cups lined up - one must have come unseated while I was fighting with it). I didn't notice until I went to do the valve adjustment and couldn't turn the crank past about 120*

If a hotspot had dropped - then it would have smashed through the piston as soon as you turned the key and the engine wouldn't start at all, so thankfully you can cross that off your list. Pushrod seating seems the most likely - they can try to go down the side of the brass slide and affect tappet gap setting (piston could be hitting the valve). Take the rocker cover off and look down each pushrod to check it seats correctly in the slide. It's also quite common to have to reset the tappet gaps - even a few minutes after a rebuilt head being fitted and the engine run. If the pushrods and tappets are ok, then refit your old injectors if you have them still and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise - get the new ones checked.

Les.

Hi,well ive checked the pushrods and all ok, i took off each new injector in turn and found that number one was covered in oil but the others just had a touch on, thought this might be the reason for problems so changed it for an old one. It still smoked heavily so I decided to take it for a good long run to see if it just needed clearing out and when i came back the smoke was hardly noticable. But still smokes now and again, noise seems to have nearly gone, think it was a bad injector flooding the cylinder too much or something. After having it running for a while today I decided to use my new compression tester at last and all 4 cylinder compressions are well within the spec of each other so no problems there. So really I think I should have a nice sound engine. If the problem with smoke carrys on I will probably get the injectors re-checked. One thing I will say though is it definately feels better on acceleration and power since I completed all the work so really pleased there.

ALSO THANKS TO LES, AND ALL THE TEAM FOR ALL THE HELP YOUVE GIVEN ME,BLESS YOU,JU :)