seat belt retractors

The more I did into fixing up this D-90, the more small stuff I am finding that needs replacing or repair. This harsh, salt-laden dust has really gotten everywhere.

The latest is that the seat belts do not retract very well. They will retract slowly if I mess around with them for a while, but they really don't want to. They just stay loose when you unhook, and typically get into the door latch mechanism when you slam it.

Before I start digging into them, I thought I would ask here if anyone knows whether there is a spring that can be repositioned, tightened, or similar inside the mechanism. Is this a serviceable item?

not really a user servicable item, best to either replace with new units, using pre used isn't recommended.

you might be able to prise the end caps off, but don't know if it'll give any better access to the mechanism.

pulling the belt fully out & tapping the casing may dislodge some of the crud inside.

.......... Even the new ones are slow at recoiling. It is a Landy thing.. .....

I can vouch for that, mine are also slow to retract, been like it from nearly new when I got it. They tend to get a bit chewed up where they get caught in the door latch, I've just become accustomed to giving them a helping hand to reel in before I close the door, (most times anyway!)

Boy, it's a good thing for LR that these things have so much character. Otherwise we would all be driving Toyotas.

I made up two brakets to stop them catching in the door post-15911-1243206419_thumb.jpg they work

Hot damn...NOW you tell me. I have a couple seat belts starting to look like they have been eaten by squirrels. And we don't have squirrels here.

Any other nifty little tricks like that you might pass on?

Hot damn...NOW you tell me. I have a couple seat belts starting to look like they have been eaten by squirrels. And we don't have squirrels here.

Any other nifty little tricks like that you might pass on?

Ah come on Gringo you have twice as many defenders as I have :D The best tip is search the net there are a lot of people out there willing to give advice on defenders not all of it good but ask on here or similar forums and you can usually filiter out the rubbish. I fact it is shot down so fast by other posters it is hard to go wrong.

Did you have to move the door's locking hardware out a bit to compensate for that spacer? What did you use for that? I can't tell from the photo. I have tons of aluminum sheet from an expensive 8 ft. diameter sat dish that Hurricanes Hannah and Ike destroyed for me...

Did you have to move the door's locking hardware out a bit to compensate for that spacer? What did you use for that? I can't tell from the photo. I have tons of aluminum sheet from an expensive 8 ft. diameter sat dish that Hurricanes Hannah and Ike destroyed for me...

I used something similar off an old lamp and flatened it out with a vice and some 4x2. When you take off the door catch there are all ready 2 or 3 spacers there use one of these for a template just cut the top part a little bigger to allow for a 5mm hole. Then simply replace one of the spacers with the new one and put a cable tie through the hole and around the belt and bobs your mothers brother (It may take a bit of fiddeling to get the door to close right afterwards on the passenger side of mine I had to leave all the spacers in including the new one) Job took an hour and a half but I was in no hurry