military defender door tops

just took the first trip wirth the new series doors and military door tops. i like them - you can keep the back window open and branches don't hit you

BUT they make a horrible rattling noice weith the glas hitting the frame while driving. any cure for that?

the other problem i found with the series doors is that the have no downward support throug the hath mechanism when closed, so the doors move donwards in the back when driving. so i needed to readjust them a couple of times.

cheers spec

These felt strips used to be extremely expensive in the past, but the price has come down lately. Part No is MWC4757. The part book says one needs 12 of them, but my 110 had other slides at the bottom, so 8 would have been enough. Sold by Britpart, BTW...

Yeah mine rattle and the felt slider stuff is now on my list of things to get when I am next back in blighty.

I keep the noise down by using a bit of foam mattress stuffed between the two frames, they rattle much less with this in place and it is non compressable and forgiving on the glass. The only drawback is the foam drops out when ever you close the window, which is not often for me but would be a bummer if I lived in a cooler climate.

These felt strips used to be extremely expensive in the past, but the price has come down lately. Part No is MWC4757. The part book says one needs 12 of them, but my 110 had other slides at the bottom, so 8 would have been enough. Sold by Britpart, BTW...

i found the part number of the felt strips, but don't see where 12 of the felt strips would go. from the picture i would have thought 1 at the top for each window.

cheers

spec

post-602-1243320366_thumb.jpg

One at top on each pane, yes. Then one at each end and two at the bottom slider. Makes six in total on each door. ;)

But as said before, mine had some plastic gliders at the bottom, so the felt wasn't needed. Might have been a change in production as these windows were only used on civilian Land Rovers for a couple of years, while the MoD still wanted them as far as the Wolf.

Guest noggy

Buying the felt strips precut from landrover or britpart is expensive, but you can buy the same stuff in 3 meter lengths for about 4 quid.

and cut it with a hacksaw.

• 4 months later...

"Available at fine shops everywhere". ;) I got mine from a Swedish parts place getting his stuff from Britpart and Allmakes. Type the part No in Google and see!

They are not sold in rolls, but lengths a little bit longer than needed.