td5 discs and pads

ally

hey guys

i noticed a slight scraping noise coming from the front brakes and with further inspection i now need new pads,the disks are pretty worn aswell so im going to do them both. ive phoned around and found paddocks the best value.has anyone else had experience? is there any tips on fitting them or are they straight forward.

thanks again

Ally

Whether you are looking for a standard replacement set of disks or pads, or an upgrade, I spoke to the guys at JSF 4x4 in Norwich and found them to be massively helpful. As they said to me, they can get hold of all BRITPART pads and disks that Paddock will offer, but they run a policy of only stocking parts that they would fit in their own workshop. The trouble with the Britpart stuff is that they rebox absolutely everything, so you have no idea what is inside the box and when you speak in terms of value, you need to consider both the price and the quality of what you are getting. JSF had a choice of about six different recognised brands of pad when I was looking such as Ferodo, Mintex, Lucas, Land Rover.

On the front of my TD5 I fitted Allmakes cross-drilled and grooved brake disks (part no: SDB000380CDG) and TRW brake pads (part no SFP500150P) as the compound is meant to offer more bite from cold and minimise fade when hard on the anchors (I mainly use my Disco for towing). Apart from anything else the disks look the part, are machined to perfection and are self cleaning. I haven't done anything with the rears yet.

I would give them a call and see what they recommend. I spoke to a chap called Paul last time around. He would be able to tell you what's involved in the fitting.

Eye

Not sure about changing the disks, but I did all 4 sets of pads within an hour including drinking a cup of tea whilst doing it. They are quite simple to do even without a manual (of course I recommend that you read a manual - no offence, but I don't know your level of mechanical knowledge).

I recently carried out this job at home. I didn't work very quickly and it took about a total of eight hours.

Changing the discs is a level up from just renewing the pads. You will have to remove the calipers and the hubs as well.

This will entail taking off the wheel bearings.

None of this should phase you, it is pretty straightforward undoing of bolts and dismantling.

The bits to think about are: Having a socket big enough to undo the wheel hub.

Removing the brake disc from the hub assembly. I found this to need a lot of persuasion!

Once you have everything apart, as Mr Haynes says, "Reassembly is the reverse of removal" but you should take the opportunity to clean and re grease the wheel bearings. You will need to know how to bleed the system. I took the opportunity to change my brake fluid completely.

You will need lots of WD40, some Loctite and some spray on brake cleaner as well as plenty of grease and a torque wrench.

In terms of which brand of discs/pads to go for, you will probably get as many different responses as there are members of the forum. I don't know why Britpart come in for so much criticism, but there are enough entries on here from people who clearly know a thing or two that I would personally avoid them, although I have no experience of their products.

My choice was EBC Discs and their Green Pads, which I am now 2000 miles into and very happy with.

Hope this helps :D

absolutely bogmonster.

changing the disks on the D2 is a doddle. They are held onto the hub by a stupid little screw that will be fairly well siezed in. Bit like most cars.

When buying your disks and pads, buy 4 new screws as you will probably muller the head of the screw getting them out. Use a decent wide bladed phillips screwdriver or if they`re realyl stuck - an impact driver - to remove them. Disk then just comes off the hub in situ.

absolutely bogmonster.

changing the disks on the D2 is a doddle. They are held onto the hub by a stupid little screw that will be fairly well siezed in. Bit like most cars.

When buying your disks and pads, buy 4 new screws as you will probably muller the head of the screw getting them out. Use a decent wide bladed phillips screwdriver or if they`re realyl stuck - an impact driver - to remove them. Disk then just comes off the hub in situ.

cheers guys

just as i thought, i got them from paddocks ebc disks and pads ill let you know how i got on.

do you guys apply copper grease to the back of the pads to stop squeaking?

Ally

Had discs & pads before from paddocks for the 300tdi with no problems.Changed Discs & pads (again from paddocks) this morning on the TD5 easy job.Just be careful taking the old disc off as you have to keep turning it and tapping with a soft hammer on the dics from behind.

The pads on my Discovery never squeak. You usually only have problems with cheap and nasty pads, genuine ones have no problems.

On this occasion Boggie, I beg to differ!! No amount of reseating/smears of copper grease on the backs has cured the squeal from my genuine rear pads... I'm just waiting for them to get a bit more worn in before taking them out and trying again.

neither do mine.

the genuine pads i fitted had a black compound backing to them. Was like almost set tar. I presume that once the brakes got up to temp after installation this compound goes soft and allows the pistons to 'sink in' to the compound making them impossible to rattle and squeak from that point forward.

neither do mine.

the genuine pads i fitted had a black compound backing to them. Was like almost set tar. I presume that once the brakes got up to temp after installation this compound goes soft and allows the pistons to 'sink in' to the compound making them impossible to rattle and squeak from that point forward.

did the disks and pads last night started at 7 pm and was finished and tidied up at 10.30 ,only problem was passenger side caliper the dust seals round the piston were perished so these will have to be replaced at later date apart from that quite a straight forward job. cheers

Ally