Hybrid question.....

gibbon

Sure this has been answered before so here goes:

I'm currently looking at buying a 100" hybrid. It consists of an imported rangerover chassis and running gear, extended original body, and a 200tdi engine out of a discovery.

Its currently log booked as the 90 which it uses its body only from what I can tell, therefore whats the consequence for me taxing it etc...... ?

Does it need an SVA?

Should it be Q plated?

What happened to the ID off the rangerover chassis donor as surely this should be the vehicle ID? :unsure:

I know this topic has been banded around before, so can someone (mods???) point me in the right direction??

Thanks!

Whatever the final resolution is, the vehicle being registered on the 90 details is wrong.

At the very least, it sounds like you will need to go down the SVA or IVA route, and the vehicle would be completely illegal to drive on the road in the meantime.

This is obviously just my humble opinion, and if you were to submit the vehicle to DVLA for a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) there may be a different outcome, but I doubt it.

hth

Mark

i had a similar 100inch truck a few years ago. RR chassis and running gear, series bodywork etc etc all properly built and was on a Q plate.

i think it was down as first registered in a 92 this being the year it was built, although from what i could tell the donor RR was a early 2 door so much older.

think now with the SVA and the IVA you could well be heading for big trouble although im no expert on the subject. personlay i think there is going to be a lot of Hybrid landys coming up for sale soon!

from what ive read your looking at £450 just for the IVA test, thats without any work they tell you to do to get it passed, may be a better option to just buy a 90 and have done with it, thats what i did in the end...

my old Hybrid

a1-9.jpg

Surely, if the vehicle was built before the SVA came in to existence, the subject vehicle [pre-SVA build] would not be eligible to complete a SVA test & therefore be as legal as any standard factory bulit vehicle,

am I correct in thinking SVA is Not retorspective, same older vehicles don't have to comply with the current existing emissions regs/test for new vehicles, but have to pass the test for older vehicles.

Surely, if the vehicle was built before the SVA came in to existence, the subject vehicle [pre-SVA build] would not be eligible to complete a SVA test & therefore be as legal as any standard factory bulit vehicle,

am I correct in thinking SVA is Not retorspective, same older vehicles don't have to comply with the current existing emissions regs/test for new vehicles, but have to pass the test for older vehicles.

I think the challenge is to convince the DVLA that it is a pre-SVA build. The burden of proof rests with the owner to prove it.

That said there are several trucks that have not had to have an SVA that I can think of - Paul's (Corrode Finger) hybrid and I think the first d-lander and Mikes Tomcat have all been inspected by the DVLA and had details changed without going through the IVA/SVA

To my knowledge none of these modified the chassis and this seems to be the essence of the thing.

It all seems to be down to individual Local DVLA office as this is where the decision will be made.

As has been said older vehicles have been through the DVLA process prior to SVA but I'm guessing the identity they came away with was based on the known identity of the chassis.

In this case the vehicle would appear to be registered against the body which is completely wrong. If you present to DVLA and they find that the chassis is stolen you will be in for some grief.

Steve

From what I've been told about the vehicle, the identity of the chassis is unknown, other than it was an 'imported rangerover' = not very legit!!! and the vehicle is log booked as the 90 from which it uses only the body work, bulkhead is S3 even, and possibly gearbox and transfer box.

Based on what it is, I'm going to walk away from it and not touch it with a barge pole!

theres far better ones out there..

i do know of a stunner, 100" with a hard top with windows and some off road kit fitted but its not cheap, think its over 6k but newly built and sprayed by a pro and is like brand new infact most parts are brand new and built around a Disco 300tdi...