TD5 Remap and Insurance

SJB-WHITE90

Hello Everyone,

I have had a good reed on the topics about ecu remaps and it all looks good but just wondered what effect was typical on an insurance premium after telling them about the remap. I am keen to get it done for the torque and smoothness and probably will not drive any faster overall but suspect that the insurance companies may well not see it that way. I would just like a rough idea of the extra to factor it in to the cost and also if some companies are better than others I could wait till premium renewal time and do it then.

Thanks in advance

Steve

If you use a Plug and Play system like the terrafirma power plug, then you could fit or unfit as you saw fit :)

It seems that Dastek are no longer selling in the UK and for Land Rover at least, Terrafirma have taken over.

I fitted one of these to mine and it hasn't disappointed. You get the torque you are after and a good power boost. It regulates several different areas of the engine, so it's not just one of those "trick the ECU" things.

Perhaps something to consider before getting a quote from your insurer for an ECU remap.

Eye

Ring your insurer and ask - they are pretty common now for most vehicles so there shouldn't be an issue unless they specifically do not cover any kind of modification to the vehicle.

it will vary completely on your insurers policies and your own circumstances.

Just had this query myself, so I rang the insurers and asked. Mine weren't worried about the remap, just about any 'expensive' additions such as larger intercoolers, stainless exhausts etc. Afterall, they don't have to pay out to remap the engine, but if you are in the unfortunate position of being involved in a frontal collision, an uprated intercooler is far more expensive than a standard one...

For once, I think the insurance company came up with a fair and reasonable decision and a very plausible explanation for why my premium would rise (or they would not cover anymore without changing the policy to a 'modified vehicle' policy) if I had these modifications done. Needless to say, I stuck with a 'Stage 1' for now, but having seen/felt the difference, I will more than likely go back for the 'Stage 2' and larger cooler in the near future.

Just had this query myself, so I rang the insurers and asked. Mine weren't worried about the remap, just about any 'expensive' additions such as larger intercoolers, stainless exhausts etc. Afterall, they don't have to pay out to remap the engine, but if you are in the unfortunate position of being involved in a frontal collision, an uprated intercooler is far more expensive than a standard one...

For once, I think the insurance company came up with a fair and reasonable decision and a very plausible explanation for why my premium would rise (or they would not cover anymore without changing the policy to a 'modified vehicle' policy) if I had these modifications done. Needless to say, I stuck with a 'Stage 1' for now, but having seen/felt the difference, I will more than likely go back for the 'Stage 2' and larger cooler in the near future.

Thanks for the info everybody - very useful

When i worked for a honda tuning company, it was some what knowen that if the mechanical parts were standard and the ecu was remaped via a re-flash there wasn't really any need to tell the insurance company, as there wouldn't any way of tell if it was changed.

Just a bit of info from the other side.. :rolleyes: