American Tyres

draper40

Hey,

I am trying to get hold of some BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain Km2 tyres in 255/85 R16. I can get them for £116 each in america and then can bring one back each time on the plane. My question is will these be legal for use on british roads?

Thanks

Pete

Hey,

I am trying to get hold of some BF Goodrich KM2 tyres in 255/85 R16. I can get them for £116 each in america and then can bring one back each time on the plane. My question is will these be legal for use on british roads?

Thanks

Pete

[/quote

anything to declare sir, no its a belt honest lol

That's good news then- just customs in the way now!

Pete

Needs the correct EU markings on each tyre to be strictly legal.......................

Plod is very clued up on 4x4 problems with recent (fatal accident) events. I was stopped (with a delighted wave of plods arm at a 4x4 amongst all the euro boxes) on a roadside search recently and the Vosa mechanic was very very interested in the steering box and steering geometry, which fortunately was in first class order on the nas. :rolleyes:

Shame I left the (intentionally removable) front number plate off at the previous weekend having used the winch in anger.................. caught me for that one but did not get a ticket. :D

according to the Rangerover register site these tyres will be available in the UK from July.

can`t see why they wouldnt be legal in the UK

correct - thats what my supplier says too

however not sure if the UK ones are e marked or not

Our Hummer H1 pasted it's SVA with Parnell Jones Dirt Gripz american tyres. Then it had Military Wrangler MTs fitted, for 2 or 3 years of MOT. Neither had 'E' marking, but both were DOT marked.

A lot of american cars are imported fitted with non-E marked tyres and then go through an SVA, but many of them do fall foul of not having the correct load/speed rating. I've heard of plenty of people having to replace the tyres that were imported on the car due to load/speed, but never due to lack of E mark.

My Range Rover has DOT marked american tyres, but hasn't had to have an SVA/IVA test and I'm not really sure that the MOT covers tyre suitability rather than just condition.