Heater, headlining and footbaths !

basquen

Its's been one of those weeks :(Sad

he 97 300tdi, which until now has been my prisitine Disco whilst the 94 got quietly shabbier and shabbier, has decided it's time to test my patience:

- The passenger side heater direction dial suddenly won't go beyond the 12 c'clock position. I guess the cable has seized but would be great if someone could confirm before I start stripping out radio etc to look closer.

- Headlining has decided it doesn't get on with the roof anymore. What appeared to be a trial separation now looks like divorce. The material is sagging all over the place and is particularly shabby around the front sunroof. Looking through the forum there are various fixes that range from strip out and bin, glue or replace. Any advice would be welcome.

- I've been using the air-con quite a bit for the last week (summer is on its way here) and have now got the optional footbaths filling up in the footwells. Do I need to get to the the overflow pipes from the interior or will just cleaning out the ends under the car do the trick?

Cheers

Nick

- Heater dial - less likely a seized cable, more likely something's broke, cable jacket worked itself loose or something's blocking the corresponding flap; you need to take it off and inspect.

- Headlining - try gluing it; I suggest the type of glue used for carpeting or for gluing shoes, i.e. the kind you can apply with a brush on both parts to be glued, leave it 15-20 mins, smells like a kind of acetone (you're not allowed to buy more then 100 ml if you're not over 18 - at least in my part of the world) then you bring the two parts in contact; if the lining has stretched and appears to be larger than the area to cover then skip the 15-20 mins waiting period and slide it in place (or cut the excess).

- A/C condensation in the footwells - get under the vehicle and you'll spot the two mushy ends of the pipes (black rubber, conical shape) if you look straight up both sides of the gearbox and unclog them; you should then get some water on your face; if not then try using some copper/steel wire to see if the pipes are blocked further up; the worst case scenario would be a bunch of leaves/debris or alike blocking the pipe at the other end.

Another option for the water in the footwells is that your heater unit has given up the ghost and is leaking water. Mine was gone when I bought the car and the heater hoses were looped to the back of the head bypassing the heater unit altogether. From what I've seen on previous posts here its a dash-off job to replace the unit and personally I can live without it though I have been told it can create an airlock in the hoses to the head but mine's been running this way at least 3 years that I know of without a problem.

Living with a used Disco is like ordering sweet & sour pork at your local chinese takeaway, you might end up eating someone's pet cat but it still tastes nice.

But that would mean an awful heavy smell of coolant in the passenger compartment, wouldn't it?

I could smell a 5 drops per hour leak from an improper fitted hose from the engine compartment driving with the window open so I imagine a coolant leak in the cabin would be much easier to identify (as being coolant and not water).

Those tits/pizzles that cipx2 mentioned actually pull out if you get some pointy nosed pliers in the end. That's where the carp gathers, so remove & clean & refit. Jobs a goodun.