Cooling shroud

smudgyrover

Hi folks

I am just starting to change the cam belt on my 300 Tdi and while I have everything in bits I am going to fit an electric cooling fan and remove the viscous fan.

Having battled with the cooling fan shroud I am wondering if it will do anything useful if I have an electric fan 'pushing' air from the front of the radiator, and whether there is any reason to refit the shroud, so the question is what has everyone else with an electric fan done? Shroud or no shroud?

Some thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

While thinking about this I also wondered whether there is anything I should do about the intercooler - the cooling shroud is designed to give some airflow to the intercooler from the viscous fan so if I put an electric fan in to cool the radiator is there anything I should do to help the intercooler?

Many thanks for any advice!

Hi folks

I am just starting to change the cam belt on my 300 Tdi and while I have everything in bits I am going to fit an electric cooling fan and remove the viscous fan.

Having battled with the cooling fan shroud I am wondering if it will do anything useful if I have an electric fan 'pushing' air from the front of the radiator, and whether there is any reason to refit the shroud, so the question is what has everyone else with an electric fan done? Shroud or no shroud?

Some thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

While thinking about this I also wondered whether there is anything I should do about the intercooler - the cooling shroud is designed to give some airflow to the intercooler from the viscous fan so if I put an electric fan in to cool the radiator is there anything I should do to help the intercooler?

Some people install fans off motor cycle radiators to blow air at the intercooler if they fit electric radiator fans instead of the viscous fan.

Many thanks for any advice!

I've got the fans from the front of a Pug 406 bunged into the front of mine, no viscous and no shroud. I did notice a very slight drop in performance immediately on fitting them - I can only work out that the near-side fan when stationary (i.e. 99% of the time), is blocking the flow of air across the intercooler fins - this is confirmed by switching the fans on - performance jumps up a tiny bit due to the increased effectiveness of the intercooler.

My old boss put a 24v 10 inch Kenlow infront of his intercooler and ran it permanantly, with a switched/thermostaticly controlled 12v big one off to the off-side of the rad - worked a treat!

Must say though, the drop in performance on mine was barely noticeable, I prolly only noticed it as it was a dialy driver at the time, so I'd not worry too much about it