100amp alternator for a 200tdi??

I currently have fitted on my 200tdi 90 a 65amp alternator but shortly will be running with 2 winches and think I will need to upgrade to a 100amp one, but are there any available for the 200tdi with the correct pulleys for the v-belt or should I be looking at installing a second alternator?

First do a search in this forum, you will find lots of useful info, some of it from myself.

2nd I fitted a 100amp Marrelli alt from a 300Tdi air cond fitted Discovery removed the serpentine pulley & used the V pulley from my old 65amp alt, been fitted for over 10 years now & has never left me short of power or let me down.

i ran a 65A and an 85Amp one on my 200tdi for two batteries, worked very well.

i would look to run a 2nd alternator, you may well struggle to fit a 100Amp alt in the space on a std def engine anyway

i ran a 65A and an 85Amp one on my 200tdi for two batteries, worked very well.

i would look to run a 2nd alternator, you may well struggle to fit a 100Amp alt in the space on a std def engine anyway

fitted on my totally standard Defender spec 200Tdi, so no reason why it shouldn't fit another of the same type engine.

fitted on my totally standard Defender spec 200Tdi, so no reason why it shouldn't fit another of the same type engine.

well the 100Amp (non disco) one i was going to put on mine wouldnt physically go in the gap so was depending on what alt you use i thought it was something worth pointing out in case a Disco alt doesnt come to hand.

well the 100Amp (non disco) one i was going to put on mine wouldnt physically go in the gap so was depending on what alt you use i thought it was something worth pointing out in case a Disco alt doesnt come to hand.

Understand now & makes sense to me Sorry I misread it, :rolleyes:

Don't quite follow the logic driving the upgrade?

So you have (or will have) two winches. Unless you plan on using them both together all the time then I can't see a reason for changing the alternator unless the existing one is not up to the demands of your existing winch?

i am making the assumption that he has two batteries

So you have (or will have) two winches. Unless you plan on using them both together all the time then I can't see a reason for changing the alternator unless the existing one is not up to the demands of your existing winch?

(whilst falling into Bishs trap)

using them both at the same time (or in quick succession) is exactly why an alternator upgrade or two alters is useful. a winch will take it out quicker than the std alt will put it back in. with only one winch there is normally a recovery time between re rigs for the battery if you have more than one winch the codriver if quite often rigging a 2nd or 3rd winch for immediate use once the first winch is done with. so no recovery time. there are also times when you use more than one winches at the same time - traversing a side slope for example, moving parallel up a slope. etc

But the times you describe James are not when the winches will be putting extreme load on the electrical system. That really only happens with one winch going at a time.

I would look to replace the alternator if you find it to be inadequate for your usage or when it needs repalcing, no tjust because you have fitted a second winch.

But the times you describe James are not when the winches will be putting extreme load on the electrical system.

how about a mid and a front both trying to pull the vehicle fwd but struggling?

anyway the majority of the time no, if two winches are out they are not at max load, especially if its a front and rear! but if you have just been working the winches hard you are now pulling on already low battery reserves, two alternators helps over come that issue especially as going over 100A for one alternator on a V means belts dont seem to last long. hence why i ran two smaller ones. (and still do)

it depends what you are going to do with the truck ultimately.

Nicks is only running one alt but 120A and it hasnt been an issue.

I have currently just the one winch and red top battery installed but previous to my ownership there was a rear winch fitted. I intend to re-fit the rear winch with a spare I have and also fit a split charge system and another battery.

• 2 years later...

I have just put some extra batteries in my 110 200tdi project. (2x Odessey Extreme 30 in parallel) to accompany my existing Odessey PC1500, and I was going to accompany this with a X-Charge and an uprated alternator. The idea is to put the crank and winch on the PC1500. And the lights, stereo, eberspacher etc on a second circuit so they can't stop the system turning over (OK so the shutdown solenoid might be an issue) and the eberspacher won't cut out on crank.

Before I go buying one that doesn't fit, can anyone confirm the Disco 100amp alternator part number, is it: AMR4247? And that this is the correct one to get to fit to a 200tdi (after rotating the casing).

I know the defender 300tdi 100amp is AMR5425 but is this the one that doesn't fit?

Alternatively, I was looking at the 200tdi gwyen lewis brackets but it appears (reading the threads on here) that I will need to drill and tap the timing case, which I'm not keen on doing. (It's also the same price as a 100amp alternator)

I have not got a lot of space left after putting in the airbox, additional relay box for kenlowe and eberspacher but there is still room to go backwards and next to the intercooler pipes (in original position). can anyone tell me how these differ in size? are they wider or deeper or both? Is it just difficult to fit or do I need to have space past the inter-cooler pipes (i.e. move them)?

OK..... You will have trouble finding a suitable 3 bolt body alternator new.... Everyone I've bought has been 4 bolt and thus you cannot rotate the body. So be careful in what you purchase. I've bought a few AMR4247s from different places and they all end up being 4 bolts and cannot be made to fit.

Also, if you are left hand drive, they are probably too big regardless as the space with the steering shaft is very tight. I assume this is not a problem for you, but it may impact others reading this in the future....

I have had no trouble finding 3 bolt alternators - Denso and ATX make 120A versions but Red90 is correct that its worth checking the mounting/bolt arrangement. I've seen a lot that say "fits defender" which is a little pointless as its the engine not model that it needs to fit and indeed I think the 4 bolt ones were fitted to the V8s. Either way just check and make sure its the 3 bolt version before purchasing. Whatever you do keep your pulley as you'll almost certainly need tp swap it over especially if its for the V belt on a 200tdi. Most of the new alternators that fot 300s and 200s have the small pulley for the serpentine belt supplied with it. You may also find that the newer alternators have the fan on the inside of the alternator whereas the original lucas alternators had the fan on the outside just next to the pulley.

Avoid Britpart alternators at ALL costs which should go without saying.

Thanks guys, before I go and buy one - can I confirm that the alternator pictured on the left in the photos on the link (sorry for external link) will fit a 200tdi and is suitable?

http://totalldvsherpa.19.forumer.com/a/antares-battery-management-system_post477-15.html

Does anyone know if this has a w connector?

And finally, how do I swap the pulleys over?

The alternator on the left in those images is 100A and has a W terminal. The shaft should have a hex hole in the end - use a hex bit and extension bar to hold the shaft and a slim wall ring spanner on the nut. I usually hold the spanner in the vice and then use the extension bar to move the shaft of the alternator to undo it all.

Don't mix up the nuts between the alternators - the 100A ones are often different thread to 65A. Some 100A ones have wide nuts which may mean you can't get the ring spanner on - the pulley centre isn't big enough. But if you want to fit your v belt pulley, you don't need the grooved pulley so just clamp it up in the vice and use a socket to undo the nut.

You will need to experiment with the various washers and spacers under the pulleys to get the belt alignment right for your 200Tdi. You will know if it is out of alignment as it will squeel like mad!

The 100A alts have internal fans so you don't need to fit a fan from your old alt.

• 1 year later...

200tdi I had a 120amp one built cost me £70 fitted in fact its just gone back tonight for a new front bolt plate as I removed it and dropped it braking that plate (D00h Donut) I use a Gates belt 6221esc no probs at all running a big alternator on a V belt (people had said cant be dun over 100amp)