leaking clutsh fluid

Hi everyone,this is my first post and can i just say how brill a site this is,loads of info which i have used successfully especially the tech forum.I now have a prob that i can't find an answer for.I have clutch fluid leaking,it appears from the bottom of the gearbox, i have checked all pipes,bleed nipple etc and no sign of leakage in fact it's dry everywhere except at the bottom of the gearbox.I've bled the clutch conventionally and still clutch fluid disappears and clutch doesn't work. tonight i have pressure bled it and see if i have a clutch in the morning.Any ideas ??

just a note.I used the tech forum on changing a uj and would like to add a useful tip, is this possible, many thanks

The clutch slave cylinder seals are kaput, what is happening is that fluid is leaking past the seals into the bellhousing and then runs down the inside of the bellhousing and out the drain hole in the bottom of the bellhousing. You'll need either new seals, or if the bore is scored, a whole new cylinder. It's quite likely that the master cylinder seals won't be all that far behind so if the fluid was black and gungy then I'd often recommend doing the whole job and filling up with fresh fluid if finances and time permit.

If you have anything to add ref UJs then post it up here and I will get Tony to add it if he thinks it is appropriate and will then delete from this thread.

Glad to hear you find the forum useful :)

The clutch slave cylinder seals are kaput, what is happening is that fluid is leaking past the seals into the bellhousing and then runs down the inside of the bellhousing and out the drain hole in the bottom of the bellhousing. You'll need either new seals, or if the bore is scored, a whole new cylinder. It's quite likely that the master cylinder seals won't be all that far behind so if the fluid was black and gungy then I'd often recommend doing the whole job and filling up with fresh fluid if finances and time permit.

If you have anything to add ref UJs then post it up here and I will get Tony to add it if he thinks it is appropriate and will then delete from this thread.

Glad to hear you find the forum useful :)

thanks bogmonster, will replace whole unit.

Ref UJ replacement, i found that if you knock the first bearing cup well past the circlip slot(with the spider in place cos you won't get it in) you can easily put the second cup on without dislodging needle bearings.Tap the second cup in a little and with a lot of pressure you can then slide the spider back and forth between the 2 cups,if the spider slides right up to the seal on both cups then bearings are in place if one or both will not slide upto seal then you have a bearing fallen over so take apart and start again,if they do slide upto seal tap home.Hope i explained this properly it worked well for me on the second new uj after smashing bearings up on first one thinking they were in place properly. Also i found after having to look for another uj very quickly that a tractor one fits(think it's of a massey ferg), size 27x74.6 as an emergency fix,probably only useful if your in ireland like me and parts for land rovers are hard to come by