MOT changes

Les Henson

As from the beginning of this month, more rules have been added to the MOT test to cover tow bars/equipment. Security, corrosion on or nearby attachment points, damage (including wear, such as drop plate holes being oval), locking pins missing.

Full info here :-

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository...0MOT%20test.pdf

Les.

Yes this is right I took a nissan patrol for Mot yesterday and it nearly failed on no pin in the bottom of the pin.

just take them off before you go, if none on it can't fail.

Why do we still have mot's every year when the other members of the EU only have mot's every 2 years if that. :angry:

Why do we still have mot's every year when the other members of the EU only have mot's every 2 years if that. :angry:

This is one piece of Euro-harmonisation I feel we could really do without. Too many people do only the minimum to meet the MOT requirements, so a two year test could only lead to more unsafe vehicles on the road UNLESS there is a much more widespread random testing programme.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather the brakes on the car behind me were tested at least once a year by someone other than the owner.

I am a car enthusiast, so I spend a lot of time and money making my vehicles much better than the minimum standard, I know a lot of people who have little interest in cars other than a means to get from A to B, and in consequence resent any and all money spent on cars. Vehicles kept as an "appliance" like this are lucky if they get serviced once a year and will often only get looked at when they refuse to start or something major falls off. I really don't want to be the substitute for their poor brakes or steering, especially if I am in the Morgan!

Why do we still have mot's every year when the other members of the EU only have mot's every 2 years if that

This has in fact just been ditched by the Government. They wanted to change it to 4-2-2, ie 4 years before the first test, then every 2 years after. They eventually bowed to pressure from a huge campaign from the MOT stations and independant garages around the country, as there would have been a 40-60% drop in the number of test stations, as a lot of them rely on MOT's as there main business.

Tow bars being brought in is a great idea, especially when you consider the amount of corrosion that can occur around mounting points if they haven't been treated properly.

Pinched from the MOT testers forum, some examples from French test stations;

Astra.jpg

suspension-arm.jpg

still reckon 2 years is better after those??? :)

Pinched from the MOT testers forum, some examples from French test stations;

..and they probably passed. The French test is a joke. I think this is because it's done by garages, same as in the UK, so there's a bit of variation between garages.

When I had my French test done, there was a list as long as your arm which I can hardly remember; leaking oil everywhere, play in a few bushes, loose number plate etc. but it still passed!

Personally, I think the national system here in ireland is better as it's more standardised.

after living here for a while now and seeing a properly run and operated two year test run by a national system i too agree with grommit the testing of vehicles should be removed entirely from garages

i've bought two vehicles now one from northern ireland and one from the uk that had fairly long mots on them and were both not fit to be on the road not that i was too bothered as they were not bought for road use but i was horrified as to some of the things wrong with them, one a discovery when i let it down on an axle stand to support the chassis the stand went straight up into the chassis and that had 8 mnths mot still left on it the other a range rover with a similar ammount of test had badly rusted brake lines and more play in the bushes than i'd ever seen in fact i statred a thread asking how good lads thought the mot system was and i was suprised at the comments

i agree totally though with having your towbar and attatchment points tested just think what happens if 3.5 tonnes of trailer and trialer comes off cos the hitch was knackered :o

every year some one looks around your land rover and tells you the things that need replacing that are worn out to make your car safer for you and other people around you whats wrong with that?? if your cars fails then there is some thing that needs reparing if we had no mot then things would just not get repared

the only bad thing about it is it now cost £45 not so good

i dont think that its a bad thing in the UK that the test is done every year, main reason is that people arent educated on cars yes everyone here knows about cars because thats one of your hobbies/work with them.

over here in transylvania an maybe the same in most other parts of the EU is that the most of the people know the in's an out's about there cars know how to fix them/keep them on the road etc

maybe if they would educate people on cars an how they work what goes wrong etc etc etc, then maybe a 2 year change wouldnt be a problem, also the MOT people in the UK dont care anyway, enough searches on the internet an you could find your self an MOT certificate posted to your door.

wouldnt mind the 2 year change tho would save me doing a 3200 mile trip every year for an MOT hehe

dave