Cam belt change questions

I have had the time tonight to get on with the cam belt change. I hadn't ordered anything as I was unsure what would be lurking under the timing cover. Here is what I have found;

- Front crank end oil seal is leaking, Going to buy a genuine item from LR

- Timing cover crank seal shot. Going to buy a genuine item from LR

- The modded timing kit is already fitted all be it the spot welded lip type crank gear. I was going to buy the kit from Island 4x4, can anyone confirm if the lower crank gear supplied with their kit is the Bearmach type pulley? I'm going for a complete kit as the idler bearing is shot.

- The water pump bearing is shot - Should I go for a cast impeller type replacement pump also from Island 4x4 or standard water pump?

- There is about 5mm radial play in the P/S pump drive flange, is this an indicator of failure or the norm?

- I never noticed the viscous fan squealing but the bearing does have considerable play. Would you just fit and forget or is there a supplier for this bearing. Searching old threads suggests this could be a potential can of worms?

I may sound like I'm over concerned but whilst I have it apart now is the time to sort any niggles. I am unsure of which supplier/s are best choice and don't want to be fitting poor quality parts.

All advice greatly appreciated.

On the plus side I now have an air tight intercooler to re-fit ;) Going to see how much a re-core on the rad will be tomorrow.

Hi mate dont forget the "o" ring for behind the crankgear it WILL leak Rad re- core about £100 Good time to replace the P gasket i've heard of a modded one? good time to replace hoses too Good luck with it

Hi mate dont forget the "o" ring for behind the crankgear it WILL leak Rad re- core about £100 Good time to replace the P gasket i've heard of a modded one? good time to replace hoses too Good luck with it

Thanks for the warning, I pulled the gear and noticed the o ring ;) What is the P gasket? Power steering pump? The pump doesn't appear to be leaking however the hose that is jubillee'd at the pump base was loose and leaking.

Hi mate its the gasket behind the housing that holds the water pump p/steer pump &alternator real easy job

just not after you've put it all together again and find it now leaks

depression will set in

The spot welded crank sprocket has a habit of seperating, so try to avoid getting one. Bearmach sell a complete 300TDi timing belt kit, which is 100% good quality item and comes with everything you need with the exception of the seals.

Bearmach kit -

med_gallery_2_134_139108.jpg

P-gasket-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7547

I think a water pump with a cast iron impellor would be better balanced than the tin type, but a good known brand of pump would be fine.

If the viscous hub has a lot of play in it (a small amount is normal), then it probably needs replacing - about £75 for a new one though.

Les.

If you're going to disturb the water pump, undo the few remaining bolts and replace the P-gasket as Riley advised. It will leak within a few weeks or months and believe me, taking it apart all over again is no fun at all (I learnt the hard way). I found out that removing the radiator and intercooler will take an extra 10 minutes and make the job so much easier.

Thanks for the advice. 'P' gasket now on my list. Just changed the fan belt tensioner bearing for £3.40...result.

Is there a one stop Land Rover shop for parts? I have had a few suppliers recommended but none seem to stock everything I need. To keep postage down can anyone recommend a supplier (of decent quality parts). One name keeps popping up as somewhere not to shop, it was something like Esso or Shell....I can't recall :rolleyes:

The spot welded crank sprocket has a habit of seperating, so try to avoid getting one. Bearmach sell a complete 300TDi timing belt kit, which is 100% good quality item and comes with everything you need with the exception of the seals.

Bearmach kit -

med_gallery_2_134_139108.jpg

P-gasket-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7547

I think a water pump with a cast iron impellor would be better balanced than the tin type, but a good known brand of pump would be fine.

If the viscous hub has a lot of play in it (a small amount is normal), then it probably needs replacing - about £75 for a new one though.

Les.

Les, it isn't the viscous unit that has play in it but the bearing and mounting flange integral to the timing cover that the pulley mounts on. It feels very lumpy and has noticeable play. I don't like the idea of a new cover £££ has anyone in the UK got a workaround? I notice a few of the Aussie sites use modified bearings from Ford waterpumps but can't find any info from the UK? I have access to ovens and bearing presses but need a suitable bearing.

Thanks for the advice. 'P' gasket now on my list. Just changed the fan belt tensioner bearing for £3.40...result.

Is there a one stop Land Rover shop for parts? I have had a few suppliers recommended but none seem to stock everything I need. To keep postage down can anyone recommend a supplier (of decent quality parts). One name keeps popping up as somewhere not to shop, it was something like Esso or Shell....I can't recall :rolleyes:

I've been using L. R. Series for a while now, seem to have just about everthing and an easy-to-navigate and well-supported website shop.

No connection, just appreciate a supplier who takes the time to photograph things and write decent descriptions.

Les, it isn't the viscous unit that has play in it but the bearing and mounting flange integral to the timing cover that the pulley mounts on. It feels very lumpy and has noticeable play. I don't like the idea of a new cover £££ has anyone in the UK got a workaround? I notice a few of the Aussie sites use modified bearings from Ford waterpumps but can't find any info from the UK? I have access to ovens and bearing presses but need a suitable bearing.

Bearing not normally available separatley I believe, but available here at a price

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190222773322

Nigel

Cheers. I have just used both Island 4x4 and L.R Series (for genuine gaskets) for all parts except the bearing in Nigel's link. I'm going to mull this one over.

I see Bearmach list distributors on their website but some of the sites listed don't necessarily say whether the part you are buying is Bearmach manufactured or not? Are there any recommended Bearmach online shops for future items?

Sorry for all the novice questions but I'm am LR newbie, thanks again.

<snip>

I notice a few of the Aussie sites use modified bearings from Ford waterpumps but can't find any info from the UK? I have access to ovens and bearing presses but need a suitable bearing.

The correct bearing is available as a separate item to the timing cover now, most of the Aussie wholesalers are selling it, and I assume it comes from Europe. (SKF ??)

<edit> actually $115 retail now http://www.british4wd.com/xcart/product.ph...t=57&page=1

Around A$80 vs A$440 for a complete timing cover.

I find that ringing (or walking into in my case) Bearmach gives the best results. They don't have a webshop, but they do have a download section with PDFs of the common parts with all the numbers. They are helpful diagrams as well in some cases when you've forgotten how it all goes back together...

Orange. I'm not sure if I misunderstood your post,do you mean you can order from Bearmach over the phone? Their products seem to be well regarderd so I could do with finding a local distributor. Anyone reccomend one in West Yorkshire?

To be honest, I've never tried ordering over the phone for a delivery, but they must do it as they are always packing stuff up when I go in there... They are only 5 minutes down the road from me, so I just ring up with a list and collect when they tell me it's all ready.

Try their website for a list of distributors... Click me!!

Or try ringing them up and asking. It's the only sure way of making sure you get what you want.

Previously, I have had orders made up with 'inferior quality parts' from other suppliers when using the likes of Paddocks etc, but I never have any issues with Bearmach. Plus, if you tell them that Paddocks etc do it cheaper they might even try to beat the price...