Front hub components not like book.

ThreeSheds

Hi,

On stripping the front hub of my non-ABS RRC (GA model year) I found the following:

gallery_3439_704_51071.jpg

Now - from looking at the book it seems to me that:

The CV joint is (correctly) a non-ABS style, but the half-shaft should have a circlip to hold it in the CV joint, but there is not even a groove for one.

The style of the bronze bushes in the stub-axle appear to be from an early ABS model, although in some pics it appears that there should be a needle roller bearing here.

Basically my hub does not conform to either the ABS or the non-ABS versions illustrated in my official workshop manual.

So my question is: Is this mix of components acceptable for some model that isn't fully described in my book, or has someone used the wrong bits at some time in the past and (perhaps) this is what has caused the top-hat bush to lose it's brim?

Cheers,

Hmmm

There are a raft of varinats out there, and some have been popped on a LR from anothwer varinat, and untill taken

apart nobody knows the difference !. Thats a "Long Nose" type CV vs the short nose one or the 90 type with

the built in stub axle.

Can you

Advise the number of splines on the CV end of the drive shaft 32 or 23 ?

And does the Hub have either a line or Triangle stamped onto the ends of the studs for the wheels ?

Looks like a Disco axle internals, but could be RR too, from memory what you have doesn't have / need a circlip

Nige

Can you

Advise the number of splines on the CV end of the drive shaft 32 or 23 ?

And does the Hub have either a line or Triangle stamped onto the ends of the studs for the wheels ?

Nige

There are 32 splines on the CV end of the drive shaft and there is a line stamped on the end of the wheel stud.

Thanks for helping on this :)

OK

Its one of the earlier "Metric" axles, with those splines from memory that the weaker unit

these were again from memory fitted to 200 TDi Discos etc and I have seen some Range Rovers

with them but unsure if factory or a 'swap over' special :) the one I worked on recently had this and it had a VIN

of EA something like 305590+ so may have been genuine axle on the RR as he got the bits and it had the guts of yours :)

Have a lookie for Disco / RR parts with the above info, you will then I think find the bits - Suffix 'B' Axles I think

The CV part number I think is RTC5843 long nose CV (vs short nose earlier type 606665 - not yours Suffix 'A' Axle)

Nige