clunking sound when changing gears

Sandyw

I have just brought my second Freelander. i had no probelms with the first one and this is why i decided to get another one.

I have got a TD4 XEI

What i have noticed is that there is an intermittent clunking sound ( sounds like metal to metal) when i change gears usually from 1st into second but it has happened when i go into third. The Land Rover garage are not able to find a fault and at present i am having to monitor how much this happens but it can happen within one mile or within 15 miles.

The gears and clutch do seem ok so i am at a loss:

anyone had this problem before?

Sandyw

Yep, I agree, most likely the front rear diff bush. If not then the finger points at the VCU mounts. The parts are fairly cheap and easy to replace.

(Incidentally there is no such thing as a TD4 XEI. The XEI was an early petrol, the diesel equivalent was the XEDI and this was the Rover L-series engine. When the BMW TD4 diesel engine was introduced in 2000, the model range were rejigged from XDI, XEDI to S, GS, ES etc.)

Cheers

Blippie

Yep, I agree, most likely the front rear diff bush. If not then the finger points at the VCU mounts. The parts are fairly cheap and easy to replace.

(Incidentally there is no such thing as a TD4 XEI. The XEI was an early petrol, the diesel equivalent was the XEDI and this was the Rover L-series engine. When the BMW TD4 diesel engine was introduced in 2000, the model range were rejigged from XDI, XEDI to S, GS, ES etc.)

Cheers

Blippie

Cheers

Blippie

Thanks Blippie:

The vehicle Reg document must have the wrong model on as it does say TD4 XEI, which is a bit odd:

Sandyw

The rear diff is held in with 3 rubber/metal bonded mounts (bushes) these wear and allow metal to metal contact on sharp driveline shocks. New bushes required if so.

Thanks BogMonster:

this seems like the most likely problem as Blippie also agrees: I will get this looked at:

Sandyw