Engine Cutting Out

Just over a year ago my 300 tdi started occasionally "missing a beat" particularly when under load or going uphill.

Over time this developed into the engine cutting out for a few seconds. On one particular journey it was cutting out and restarting every few seconds - on off on off on off ad infinitum, until it suddenly cleared never to return...

...until Tuesday that is! :angry::(

The first time, the engine cut out for 20 seconds or so, I moved over to the hard should and stuck the hazards on whilst keeping the throttle depressed slightly. Just as I was about to give up hope the engine restarted, only for the same problem to repeat itself several more times before I reached home.

I think the problem is fuel related either muck in the tank or lift pump or somewhere in the fuel system, the question is where to start??

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Steve

The original alarm has never worked since I owned the Defender, Ralph. Last year (some months after the problem started) I got around to removing the alarm and although I isolated the wiring I did not remove it. Whereabouts on a Defender is the alarm spider? I have done some electrical stuff on my Defender and have not come across it (or maybe not noticed it!).

I will have a look at the stop solenoid.

It is certainly possible that a fuel pipe somewhere has an air leak, but the tank did come out when Les changed the rear x member.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Steve