Gearbox options

I'm looking for a suitable box to fit behind my new TGV and am not so keen on the idea an auto. I know the R380 in theory will cope with the TGV, but experience from others shows it doesn't take much to kill an R380 with one.

I have looked at a Tremec at £1500 it's not too bad, but the machine work involved in getting it to fit will send the cost beyond my budget.

Any suggestions?

I'd look at getting a good R380 and using that tbh.

The "L" versions fitted to the TD5 are stronger, so perhaps one of those rebuilt with a TDi input shaft would fit the bill?

I'll be sticking an R380 behind my V8, and am reasonably confident it will be fine. Ashcroft recommenede the later "L" box for my power/torque levels, but i've decided i'll just use a standard TDi box for now until(if) it breaks, then change it for a rebuilt "L" box.

I have thought about this and would like to keep it mostly Rover, but even the L suffix seem to suffer behind an R380.

Remember also your V8's power delivery will be a lot smoother than the 4cyl TGV.

And will be probably be making less torque..... It's this wall of torque that comes in at 1400 rpm that seems to kill the gearboxes. In truth you're looking at BIG V8 levels of low end torque it's just that the TGV drops off much more quickly.

My vote would be tremec although you could bung in an R380 for the time being. I think the Rakeway rear housing (to allow you to bolt to an LT230) means the main case ends up the same length as an R380. Therefore it could be a bolt on upgrade later on....

The V8 makes 300hp and 400NM which is more than the TGV and more than the box is rated to (380nm) but i'm hoping it will hold, given that a petrol delivers the power a lot smoother.

Ashcroft told me the box will take a bit more than 380nm, and there are plenty of folk out there running tuned TD5's which are producing over 400NM and arent destroying gearboxes.

Stick a tired old R380 behind it then i dont think it will last, but a rebuilt one should be fine.

Whats the details of this Tremec box?

The V8 makes 300hp and 400NM which is more than the TGV and more than the box is rated to (380nm) but i'm hoping it will hold, given that a petrol delivers the power a lot smoother.

Ashcroft told me the box will take a bit more than 380nm, and there are plenty of folk out there running tuned TD5's which are producing over 400NM and arent destroying gearboxes.

Stick a tired old R380 behind it then i dont think it will last, but a rebuilt one should be fine.

Whats the details of this Tremec box?

I think you may well find the built R380 won't last either. It depends how you drive, though. The other question is how much of you're vehicle's torque is low down? That's what kills gearboxes: a wall of torque from tickover. If there's a gentle build up then it'll be much easier on the 'box.

Tremec TKO500 - loads on the net. It seems to be a favoured choice behind big V8s however I'm an auto man so I don't know that much about them. Also the exchange rate makes it a little expensive at the moment!

HI

LT 95 is indeed the strongest box ever built as far as I know and it will work/ take you to the finishline eventhough heavyly beaten up, but it is not the latest fashion and it is not mainstream, so I guess thats why people don use it a lot.

Could though be a nice set up:

4,75 diffs the LT95 ( short bellhousing from 101" ) with the highst ratio in high being almost 1:1 first gear is almost 1:4

That is at least what is in the plans for our next car.

Kind regards

Ole.