NAS lights - problems re-wiring my car...

hi guys,

i had my 90 ( e reg v8 incase that matters) resprayed and as part of my mini project i decided to add new NAS lights.

When we striped the car we cut all the old lights out but labelled each loom.

I took my time and all was going well but to cut a long story all the indicator lights work on the hazard circuit but nothing happens on the indicators arm at all. I can't even hear a relay etc. I can remember early on (it's taken me about 1 week to get this far using the odd hour here and there) that the indicators were working as i was using this to test each lamp as i went then i just started using the hazard so that i could check all the lamps in one go...

i've checked the fuses - all look ok.

the only light that strangly needed an earth to the chassis was the near side rear indicator by the number plate light - it would not work unless one wire was connected to the chassis. All the others just connected to the two wire fly lead of each lamp.

i did nowever not test each wire like i should have so are there any inline fuses anywhere else that i might have blown other then the main fuse box?

any ideas please?

thanks in advance as i'm stumped.

Rick

If your indicators are working off the hazard switch, your indicator lamps and wiring are working fine. From memory the hazards work off the perm 12v feed from the purple clock/radio/hazards feed.

Sooooo... I would check the light green/brown feed to the indicator stalk from the relay or the green feed from the ignition that feeds the dials/gauges.

Should be active on your ign on. Same feed as your stop lights.

If your stop light and gauges are working I would start at the ind column switch, green/white RH side, green/red LH. Light green/brown should be feed.

Pete

Each indicator light MUST be earthed, otherwise they won't work.

the fronts have a earth at the inner wing vertical panel behind the headlight [same place as the other front lights are earthed]

the rear have a earth on top of the seat box in each rear corner, [again same place as the other rear lights are earthed]

http://www.nicksjungle.co.uk/Fitting%20NAS%20lights.html

i'm open to all suggestions at this point guys.

will run extra earths from all the lights as suggested then try the other posts.

i would have thought that if the lights are working correctly on the hazard circuit then the wiring to them must be fine but it was strange that only one would not work without an earth to the chassis. Also i have not played around with any of the wiring loom. All i did was cut the wires to each light. mark then up, get it painted then start reconnecting each one.

hopefully i will be able to find some time tomorrow to run the earths then go from there.

thanks again.

Rick

bit of an update guys.

have earthed all of the indicator and side repeaters but no change. Ok on the hazards nothing on the indicator arm.

Also the fuel guage is not working..

i've checked all the fuses - they are all fine. However using a very simple circuit tester i've no power to that fuse either unless i'm going mad. i used one of the fuse board screws as an earth to test it.

Also i tried connecting the near side front side light - fine works a treat. Same process on the offside nothing.

really starting to get frustrated.

bit of an update guys.

have earthed all of the indicator and side repeaters but no change. Ok on the hazards nothing on the indicator arm.

Also the fuel guage is not working..

i've checked all the fuses - they are all fine. However using a very simple circuit tester i've no power to that fuse either unless i'm going mad. i used one of the fuse board screws as an earth to test it.

Also i tried connecting the near side front side light - fine works a treat. Same process on the offside nothing.

really starting to get frustrated.

Rick,

1) It sounds like your green feed is missing from your column switch and fuel gauge. Have you definitely got the ignition ON when measuring?

2) The other things that won't be working if the fuse is dead should be the oil temp (if fitted) and coolant temp and your stop lamps won't light when you press the brake.

3) If there is no voltage before the fuse (with ign on) check if the wipers work.

4) I think if you still have no volatge I would check your ignition switch especially the white wire which feeds the two fuses and then becomes green.

Pete

hi all,

sorry for the late reply to those who replied back. only just got back online today.

i enlisted my older and therfore wiser brother to be a second pair of eyes and also use his better multi-meter.

up shot of it was a mixture of my poor earths (my fault), previous owners wiring attempts (to give you an idea the radio's earth is a loose wire wrapped around the fuse box mounting screw and several fuses which continued to blow...

all the indicators work now, side lights are all good too. I've still got an issue with the fog as this still blows fuses (suspect the earth) and i've not tried wiring the reverse yet.

anything BIG THANKS to everyone for advice and help.

i hope to be able to return the favour and contribute rather then ask for help next time.

thanks again

Rick