Tracker

keithjh

Hi All,

As i am considering spending a arm and nine legs on a Defender 90 300Tdi, with a lot of extras, and in the past having had a 110 stolen, we are considering having a tracker fitted, i appreciate it wont stop the scumbags stealing it, but it may give me a chance in getting it back.

Also any suggestions on an immobiliser that also has a very load alarm would be helpful.

Any thoughts ideas suggestions welcome.

Also my project 110 300tdi auto is almost finished, so i need a way to at least stop that being pinched by some scumbag using a teaspoon to pop the door locks

Regards

Keith

For a dedicated retrieve tracker for theft I would recomend these http://www.mtrackonline.co.uk/home.html they are the size of a tobaco tin and have a two year battery life and can be fitted in seconds as they are totaly wireless .

Or a GPS system such as this http://www.navmanwireless.com/

We use both systems at work for plant and vehicles , The M track boasts a 98% recovery rate and it works well .

I have been looking into tracking devices as well.

There are so many on the market that it's confusing as to which would be the best. I was interested in something simple, with no subscription charges and something that doesn't tie you into anything specific in order to use it. This is the one that I was looking at:

http://www.gpswholesale.co.uk/products/smartgps/index.html

I liked the look of this one because there's no subscription charge and you just text it to get it to text you back with its location. They don't charge you for viewing the maps as they use Google mapping. I've no idea how good they are in practice though. The battery life on these units is only a few days unless wired into a car's power supply.

The other one I was looking at was this one:

http://www.followgb.co.uk/products/trim/index.aspx

The standby time is quite long at 2-3 months, but I didn't like the way you have to log into your account on their site to track your device, including having to pay to use the mapping, including paying extra to zoom in etc. That seemed very inflexible to me, compared with the one above.

Mike

I forgot to add, does anyone know how to mount these trackers effectively so that they get a clear signal? Do they have to be mounted with a clear view of the sky (through glass or something), or can a signal be received through car bodywork or plastic?

I'm thinking of suitable places to hide one of these things in a Land Rover and it's not too easy!

The one I was looking at has the SiRFstarIII GPS chip, which I understand is a good one.

Mike

ClassIII will see through my landy roof and a Brownchurch rack [Galv steel]. It's on an extension lead from a laptop, but I often forget to slap the magnetic aerial on the roofrack and it still syncs but takes a lot longer. It'll take 3 mins to get first sync with my sat-nav when inside the truck, but that should be fine with a tracker [i guess].

Thanks Chris

That's interesting to hear. I thought any metal bodywork in the way would render it useless. I was originally thinking of somewhere like under the dashboard, in the hope that the dash top and windscreen wouldn't impede things too much.

Mike

I'm thinking of suitable places to hide one of these things in a Land Rover and it's not too easy!

A few years back I wanted one fitted to a truck cab 90.

The installer said it would be a waste of money as on a defender there was nowhere that would make it hard to find.

They thought that anyone who knows a little about them (defenders) would find it easily and it would be sabotaged within a few minutes.

Apparently on most cars inside the dashboard is quite popular. But a defender does not have much space there.

Not my opinion, just what I was told by an approved installer...

I have heard quite a few accounts of thieves finding and disabling trackers. I wonder if this is with a specific type of tracker that only gets mounted in a certain place, so they know exactly what they are looking for before they get there - like with traditional car alarms.

I was hoping that one of the units I mentioned above might be easier to hide somewhere that a thief won't think of looking.

Mike

I wonder what the failure rate is for scanners due to thieves using signal jammers. Are they a common tool used by thieves?

I don't think any of my vehicles would be targeted by anyone that well organized, although I suppose anything is possible! I'm more worried about an opportunist making away with it when I leave it parked in the countryside and am away from it for hours at a time.

I would have other immobilizing devices, but of course the thief would probably have quite a bit of time to work on those, but might not expect a tracker to be fitted due to the vehicle's age/condition.

Mike

Well I don't know for sure, but I would think other than your bog-standard 'oh that looks like a larf' joyriding opportunist theif, Land Rovers more than most cars get stolen by people looking specifically for them with the view of breaking them down and selling the parts on. These people might well be equipped better with jammers etc than your average car theif.

Not trying to put you off, just voicing my concerns over spending possibly many £100s on a system bypass-able with a £30-40 jammer.

May i suggest you seek the help of a professional company and ask the right questions as the tracker on my car takes very little to set it off and have them on the phone. I have even set it off messing with the front winch on my drive. I have every confidence in its ability to do what it says on the box.

Any GPS will be rendered useless by a GPS signal jammer, no matter where it's mounted. Just stops it locking on to any satellites.

As far as I know, there aren't any civillian units which can't be jammed. I stand to be corrected though.

there were units on ebay not long ago that you plug into the cigaret lighter then you basically got a 3/5 meter bubble around the car that blocked all gps signals

werent expensive either just less than 20quid

dave

That device sounds handy for when they decide that everyone has to have a tracker on their cars to monitor movements and charge for road usage.

But until then, maybe an additional security measure would be to have an immobilizer in the cigarette lighter circuit in case the thief has one of those things to disable your tracker! :lol:

Any GPS will be rendered useless by a GPS signal jammer, no matter where it's mounted. Just stops it locking on to any satellites.

As far as I know, there aren't any civillian units which can't be jammed. I stand to be corrected though.

The maker of these units tells me they cannot be jammed as they use radio signals sent from Mobile phone masts

http://www.mtrackonline.co.uk/home.html

That is one of the units I was looking at.

I was reading their details and it says that they use GSM to establish a location, then an RF signal (if required) to track the unit to its exact location.

In their Success Stories section it details one recovery where the stolen goods were taken out of GSM coverage areas and the tracking resumed a few days later when the stolen goods came back into an area with GSM coverage.

That suggested to me that despite their extra RF tracking capabilities, they need to use a GSM signal to locate the general area first, before using the radio tracking for an exact location. If that's the case then surely a GSM signal jammer used initially would prevent them from getting a location fix in order to know where to go with their RF detection equipment.

Mike