HELP, Td5 Overheating

Today I was happily crusing down the highway at 70km/h as i'm a law abiding driver. i noticed that the power to the engine was significantly less and I assumed it was the fuel pump acting up again. They do that when they are going to pack up, but I've gotten a spare on standby anytime for this.

As i pulled of the highway into a minor traffic jam, i look at my temp gauge and it read cold. Impossible for an engine that has just coverd over 25km.

Immediately i sensed something wrong and pulled over. Turn off the engine and waited. turned the key to POS II. it measured up slightly under mid way.

Started up, moved the truck one lane down to a proper parking space and turned off the engine to allow to cool. 2hrs, i started it again and drove 7km thru slow traffic and it all looked well. engine was warming up normally and until suddenly, the gauge read cold again as i was pulling into the parking lot.

puzzled, i parked up and turn off the engine. i heard bubbling from the engine bay and when i opened it, there was a slight leak of water from the overflow reserviour. Decided to leave it to cool for 2hrs again.

Checked water level, still good when i came back. so started up the truck, it was late by then, so i decided to drive to the local garage as it was nearer than to my home. half way there, the gauge shot to red and then back to the mid point, then after staying there for a few seconds before going to cold. Long story short, i eventually got to the garage just before closing time.

1. could I have damaged the engine in anyway? it seems to start and run fine when driving.

2. blockage in the radiator?

3. Crack in the overflow reserviour?

4. jammed thermostat?

5. collasped hose?

6. water pump damaged?

other possible problems?

It could be any of the above or it could be the head gasket and yes you could have warped or cracked the head of the engine. Hope its a smaller problem like a blockage in the radiator good luck

The antics of the temp gauge would be because there was no coolant to it, which is a bad thing... 3) is probably the most likely culprit for initial coolant loss but anything is likely to be bad news if you drove it very far. :(

sounds really scary. seems like my Td5 is giving me a lot of problems lately. damn, it's a well maintained engine. seems like the more you care about it, the more problems they give. hmmm.

let's await what the local garage tells me. still need some $$$ for the t-box too.

sounds really scary. seems like my Td5 is giving me a lot of problems lately. damn, it's a well maintained engine. seems like the more you care about it, the more problems they give. hmmm.

let's await what the local garage tells me. still need some $$$ for the t-box too.

Let us know how you get on. Your pain can be our gain thats how it works Im afraid, and I could be next.

visited the garage in the evening.

my radiator was choked of rust sediments. the bypass pipe below was totally blocked and the thermostat was jammed (presumably by the rust sediments). Hence like what was mention, at times no water got to the sender and hence the gauge jumped to super hot and then back to totally cold.

other than that, it will get the entire radiator flushed tomorrow and new hoses. Engine didn't suffer anything as I noticed the irregularties with the temp gauage early. cooling system didn't over pressurise as the resivour didn't crack. it just might be my lucky day.

visited the garage in the evening.

my radiator was choked of rust sediments. the bypass pipe below was totally blocked and the thermostat was jammed (presumably by the rust sediments). Hence like what was mention, at times no water got to the sender and hence the gauge jumped to super hot and then back to totally cold.

other than that, it will get the entire radiator flushed tomorrow and new hoses. Engine didn't suffer anything as I noticed the irregularties with the temp gauage early. cooling system didn't over pressurise as the resivour didn't crack. it just might be my lucky day.

Glad to hear that. I hate that feeling, just when your about to find out if its just a little problem or its the end of the world

all's fixed. got ripped of by the workshop. feeling totally frustrated.

radiator flushed, thermostat changed, bypass pipe cleaned up, water pump changed, top hoses from engine block to radiator changed.

that cost me over SGD $800!! amazing. i can't believe it. that's about the price i'd pay at the $tealership.