B@@@@y Scrapiron

simonr

Page 18 Simon

Transmission Disc Brake Kit

£186.83

The standard Land Rover transmission drum brake is great at collecting mud and water off-road, but not that great at restraining a heavy vehicle afterwards. What you need, then, is one of these new transmission disc brake kits, which is suitable for all Defenders.

ScrapIron Racing blah blah blah

There's a pic of the kit and there's even an 'X' on the back plate

Hope that helps

There's a pic of the kit and there's even an 'X' on the back plate

Interesting, I wonder who took the photograph - is it a library image - or an X-eng publicity photograph? ;)

Sorry to hear it finally happened Si. I wonder if the Scrapiron quality will let them down again. You might be able to build on any weakess in the copied product.

Chris

Must be the old photo of mine then. Apparently, the back plate is different 'Heavier construction' and the rotor is cast rather than cut.

It seems unlikely they would copy a trade marked logo!

I decided on a mild steel rotor as cast material tends to be more brittle. I would rather it bend than break, as a broken bit wizzing round is likely to take the back of your gearbox off when it hits the caliper rather than a bent bit just being inconvenient.

Si

Interesting, I wonder who took the photograph - is it a library image - or an X-eng publicity photograph? ;)

Sorry to hear it finally happened Si. I wonder if the Scrapiron quality will let them down again. You might be able to build on any weakess in the copied product.

Chris

Just checked and it is actually the X-Eng 'X-with-an-arrow' Logo....Si, I'd say that was a touch too far to be honest, using a photo of YOUR product to advertise another

Simon

Just wanted to add my voice of support - The power of personal reccomendation is incredible. Can we perhaps arrange for everybody on the forum to go and have a nice chat with them at Billing, sounding interested in the disk handbrake and asking whether their products are made by X-Eng, or simply a cheap knock off. When they tell us that they arn't made by you, simply ask them whether they could please direct us to the X-eng stand, as we have cash burning holes in pockets. Not very effective, but passes the afternoon..... By the way, does your PTO version fit on a non-PTO gearbox. I'm thinking about going PTO Milemarker at some stage, and would like a handbrake that would be ok for both.

33 replies of support in 3 hours has to suggest that you are doing something right.

Simon has supplied Scrapiron with x-brakes in the past for resale. The Picture on the website shows the item that they are (were) selling - ie a genuine X-Brake but as was inevitable they have now copied it, and hence the thread. I guess they were selling the genuine one just long enough that they could come up with thier knock off....

Mark

editted; hmm, that is weird; those pictures ^^^^ weren't there before when I wrote my little bit. It does appear they took an older version, with the logos!! and are advertising as their own.

That's not cricket. :angry:

A trip to the Citizen advice and maybe legal action seem in order.

So Simon, if are you looking for new ventures, i.e. interested in the TB proposition? :rolleyes:

Never know, maybe it will prove to be as good as their rear trailing arms :) !

You could always say to Colin that you have discovered a new way to make cranked trailing arms that he might be interested in, then if he wants more info, take a standard one and bend it round the side of his head!!!

Very annoying, I have never bought anything from them but I thought I might go and have a nose round the showroom next time I am over. Now I won't be bothering with that :angry:

Hi Simon,

a very dissapointing situation, but we are all behind you here i reckon.

As with many people i am sure i will be spreading the word of how underhand and carp scorpion are- so you have support.

I feel you will have some case for copyright as they have used your own library piccies to sell their own inferior product. Or perhaps one of us could make a complaint to Trading standards?

anyway keep your head up mate- i reckon you have a small but loyal market on here!

If there is an X on the back plate in the picture with the SR editorial in LRO then that must be a breach of copywrite.

Do LRO have permission to use a picture of your device to represent a similar device of a competitor?

I doubt it, therefore they have misrepresented your product, particularily if the SR product is inferior which I am sure it will be.

Have they any of your old stock left?

If they have no doubt they will try and return it!

John

I think Si has a case for suing the gits as they have used "HIS" picture in the advert and no doubt LRO will be a bit miffed also.

Best thing to do is go and seek profesional help, at the end of the day SR have everything to loose and nothing to gain........

Maybe a comprimise.......you get 10% of every one they sell as its your product they advertised!

Good luck, we are backing you all the way..

:ph34r:

That sucks big time

Feel free to use an avatar/logo I designed a long time ago

scorpion.gif

hi all i'm a newbie on this one, normally hang out on lro. like the support this guys getting, never mind lr4x4 stickers, lets have some of those no scrapiron ones out there. I'll have one, they could be like eddie stobart trucks, hail wallace!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

That sucks big time

Feel free to use an avatar/logo I designed a long time ago

scorpion.gif

hi all i'm a newbie on this one, normally hang out on lro. like the support this guys getting, never mind lr4x4 stickers, lets have some of those no scrapiron ones out there. I'll have one, they could be like eddie stobart trucks, hail wallace!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Hail and welcome Yostumpy thanks for your support for Simon.

By the way you have a stutter :P

John

LETS GET SOME STICKERS MADE THEN

Simon, I think its totally discusting but not unexpected. I find the whole bussiness ethos of SR totally appaling and, fear not, they will end up paying for it one day. They are an incredably arrogant company with very little technical knowledge to back up their claims.

I think it would be a nice idea to get some T shirts made up using Andy's logo on the front; say 200. I know all the forummers who're competng in the AWDC event would wear them along with some non forum mates of mine. The other thing we could do with them is arrange an on mass visit to they're stand at a pre arranged time at Billing. over 100 people wandering arround the stand with the T shirts on would make a good point :D However, the Equipe method might be more effective. If you didn't hear what they did when SR copied their extreme kit I'll tell you some time; its not for public consumption :unsure:

P.S. I'll happily put some extra stickers on the truck when its been repainted.