B@@@@y Scrapiron

simonr

I'm afraid to say, in the harsh commercial world you operate in there can never be "gentlemen's agreements" to corner parts of the market. I have to say I'm in favour of such an open market - it can only ever push you to reduce cost and improve quality. Then, the market successor will be the one with the best product and aftersales reputation. I don't think you have anything to fear, Si.

That said, acting as an agent for your product and then copying it, that stinks. It's within the rules, but... Bring on the stickers - in a single colour would make it easier to produce!

I can't describe how angry this has made me, not least because Simon is a true inovator who has produced the product range that he has through experiment and bitter failure, the proper, traditional way.

Scrapiron have NOT, typically they have stolen ANOTHER idea from a true enthusiast.

Down with Scorpion!! :angry::angry::angry:

I'm afraid to say, in the harsh commercial world you operate in there can never be "gentlemen's agreements" to corner parts of the market. I have to say I'm in favour of such an open market - it can only ever push you to reduce cost and improve quality. Then, the market successor will be the one with the best product and aftersales reputation. I don't think you have anything to fear, Si.

That said, acting as an agent for your product and then copying it, that stinks. It's within the rules, but... Bring on the stickers - in a single colour would make it easier to produce!

TC, SR make their bussiness by doing this: Start with a quality product that they distribute, make a poor copy of it and then shove 2 fingers up at the guys who did all the hard work. I hate to say it but quality doesn't enter into it; how many people over here use Equipe in place of Scrapion Racing stuff??? Very few. Its all down to SR's agressive marketing and the fact they keep the magazine's in their pockets.

P.S. If people want anti scrapiron T-shirts, let me know. I'm certainly going to get a few made up but, if there's demand, I'll get a larger batch made.

hi

si sorry to hear that scrapion have nicked you design I can only imagine how pi*sed you feel.

si can you send me an x-eng sticker i am willing to pay, pm me please.

i LOVE the anti-scrapion sticker idea, I will defiantly buy one,

Tom <_<

I hate to say it but quality doesn't enter into it; how many people over here use Equipe in place of Scrapion Racing stuff???

I'll probably get flamed for this but I disagree - take shock absorbers. At the beginning someone had the idea of a tube, a rod and some seals, now there's many people in the market. OMEmu have a good reputation, other people make shocks that fall apart. Now there's a choice depending on your pocket and preference. OK, it doesn't reward the people who are working their guts out to make new and clever stuff, producing truly innovative solutions to individual problems and being clever in the engineering sense that the British have a worldwide reputation for, but that's only half the battle to bringing a product to market. Marketing and manufacture within a budget are also critical aspects and here, Scorpion will always have X-Eng beaten because of the immense capital they appear to be supported by. They've chosen to throw lots of money around and to try to dominate the market - time will tell whether this pays off or bankrupts them! I have to say, Si's strategy is less ambitious but at lower risk and he has my unerring support, if only for getting up and doing what some of us only get as far as thinking about.

P.S. If people want anti scrapiron T-shirts, let me know. I'm certainly going to get a few made up but, if there's demand, I'll get a larger batch made.

I'm up for a T'shirt. Would love to walk past the ScrapIron stand at Billing wearing one...... Who knows, if this gets around enough forums (fora?) it could become this year's 'must wear' T Shirt for the shows.

TC, SR make their bussiness by doing this: Start with a quality product that they distribute, make a poor copy of it and then shove 2 fingers up at the guys who did all the hard work. I hate to say it but quality doesn't enter into it; how many people over here use Equipe in place of Scrapion Racing stuff??? Very few. Its all down to SR's agressive marketing and the fact they keep the magazine's in their pockets.

Si

Just on the Photo front - from a legal point of view, advertising something using someone elses picture is misrepresentation.

Its illegal...

The magazines are the main culprit, based on the fact they allow it. Its your product, with your image.

If you like, I could order a scrapiron one, and complain when it doesn't come with the shiny 'X' cut out... They can't say that is part of the design...!!!

£35 down at your local solicitor may result in an interesting apology, followed by a letter to the Advertising Standards Authority...

Cheers

Pete

PS - Put me down for a sticker..!!! :lol:

I dont say much on this forum but i just have to say that is bang out off order... never met you simon but your name is always carried with respect.. I phoned said company a few days ago to enquire about there all new uprated cv joints that i know are manufactured by david ashcroft.. they informed me that they were there cv joints and when i asked if they were the same as ashcrofts they stumbled and mubled... Im sure you will go on to bigger and better things simon and leave imposters in your tracks... :D

Simon, perhaps you should get a friendly mag to do a review el pronto………… maybe TOR and in the article make the point of being wary of inferior orange copies :D . At least you can have comfort in the fact that they see you as a business threat :angry:

Sign me up for couple of stickers James (I’m local to you ) ;) ……………. I have never liked scrapiron sh!t with their blah,blah,blah type of sales / IMHO poor products, and and consequently never dealt with them ……………….

Ian

A shame it happens that way. You cant do a lot legally I dont think, but I would make sure your adverts highlight the fact that you are the original seller of these devices. On the forums, we now know the story, but the buying public of SR doesn't. Try to get the word round and let the public decide for themselves if they buy from SR or from yourself.

This might not help the AWDC club for its moral either.

Simon,

Sorry to hear you've been done over, I'll be at the first ScrapIron Challenge at the weekend I'll find out what I can and spread the word.......

I'd wear the T Shirt there as well if they were ready, put me down for one(and the stickers) I can always wear in later

X-Eng...."Often imitated, Never duplicated"

I can do a vector file out of the original jpg so you guys can print it any size with no quality loss.

Let me know,I'll do it just for the sheer fun

:D

if Andy doesn't mind me copying his "original" artwork

:blink:

if Andy doesn't mind me copying his "original" artwork

:blink:

If it helps out Simon and snubbs Scorpion, anyone can do anything they want with the logo :D

Me - I want a A4 sheet with about 50-100 penny sized stickers.

Why - I'll wander round their stand at the shows and stick 'em on everything :D:D:D

They'll be finding them for months !!!!