Freelander rear brake drum seized

naz

After leaving the vehicle standing for 4 days the off-side rear brake has seized. I've tried to remove the drum, but after a couple of hours trying to prise and shock it off, it still won't budge. In doing this the 2 brake shoe retaining pins have popped out, but I'm still getting nowhere with the drum itself. Of course the manual says slacken the tension adjustor at the back of the drum, but I find it impossible to access... any advice on either accessing the adjustor or in getting the drum free?

naz

four days stood is nothing, brakes wouldnt have siezed in that short a time, first thing is, have you removed the retaining screws from the drum ?

second have you released the adjustor ?looking at the backplate you will see either a oval ? grommet or an oval hole the adjustor lives behind this hole, using a short screwdriver ratchet the adjustor, cant tell which way off the top of my head it may be stiff to turn initially until it gets to clean threads and when you reassemble make sure you put some copperslip or similar on the threads.

Also make sure the drums are still in spec regarding thickness as it sounds like you have a serious lip on them indicating heavy wear

• 2 weeks later...

There was a recall on the rear brake for early freelander we only new when the camels rear brakes court fire on the M4 and LR assistance came out to fix it. (The chap went to the local dealer and go all the bits and replaced the parts on the road side for her)

my wife managed to put the fire out but never forgave my for putting a cable tie round the standard fit fire extinguisher that all the camels have, she use a bottle of water she had with her.

Thanks for the advice gents...here's the story so far......

Managed to beat the o/s brake drum off and discovered the lining from one of the brake shoes had come away and wedged itself between the other one and the inner lining of the drum. The brake cylinder was also damaged.

Have since replaced the shoes and drums and both sides, plus the damaged brake cylinder.

However, the drums were a pig of a job to get on!

Followed the workshop manual instructions on how to do it (setting the brake shoe adjuster to its' minimum setting) but the drums were extremely difficult to get on.

I knew it wasn't right, but I had to get the thing back together to just move the vehicle to a safer spot. Once the wheels were back on and the brakes bled (I drained the fluid to allow maximum free movement of the brake cylinder pistons to aid removal of th drums), the n/s wheel could just about be moved by hand when jacked up, but could not move the o/s wheel at all.

Any suggestions? I know it has to be something to do with the shoe adjuster, but unlike my 90 you can only adjust it when the drum is off - there is no adjustment nut on the rear of the hub.

I hope someone can shed some light on this!

Thanks

my wife managed to put the fire out but never forgave my for putting a cable tie round the standard fit fire extinguisher

My thinking is that if you REALLY, REALLY NEED the fire extinguisher, a cable tie ain't gonna stop you!

Cheers

C

My thinking is that if you REALLY, REALLY NEED the fire extinguisher, a cable tie ain't gonna stop you!

Cheers

C

for me yes I could have snapped but she just wasn't strong enough

Remember I'm in Construction it was a big cable tie :D