Clicking when braking

Hi,

About 50% of the time when I apply the foot brake I get a clicking sound when the pedal is pushed hard. It appears at about 80% of the way down to fully on.

I don't normally push as hard as I usually like to brake quite early and gently without slamming the brakes on.

But as mentioned about half the time of hard braking it doesn't make any sound but other time sit does and when it does it can be repeated by pumping the brake pedal without lifting the pedal all the way off.

I also had a worrying knock on the way home yesterday when I put the brakes on but I also have a hole in my foot well so it could have been a coincidence and a stone but it was quite worryingly timed with the brakes going on.

I've had a quick check underneath and tried to wiggle things to see if they moved but everything seemed solid, I noticed plenty of crud on my swivels and could probably do with topping up.

Is there anything else I can check or any other suggestions?

I suppose taken the wheel off an checking the brake pads and any movement off the ground could be next.

Thanks

Steve

Wiggle the brake pads up and down in the calipers and see if you get the same sound.

Mine used to make quite a racket, they'd clack as I pressed the brakes and clack again as I rolled to a stop. Now that they've bedded in, the noise has stopped.

the clicking is usually from the brake pads.

try this, when you are coasting to a stop, tap the brakes a few time and see if they click together with you braking. if they are, then you know it's the pads. they can be even when the pads are new.

a possible solution is to weild a lil bit of metal to the edge of the pad so they don't move about when you tap the brakes making them click.

I have the clicking myself. Some research showed that it's the brake pads moving and banging against the caliper when breaking. I just accepted it and live with it.

However, this should usually happen as soon as you apply the brakes and not at 80%. Therefore I would recommend to check the radius arms and bushes as they may cause axle rotation when worn out badly or broken.

By the way, I'm kind of concerned about the hole in the footwell and I think you should have a look at this as soon as possible just to rule out that its something serious.

I have the clicking myself. Some research showed that it's the brake pads moving and banging against the caliper when breaking. I just accepted it and live with it.

However, this should usually happen as soon as you apply the brakes and not at 80%. Therefore I would recommend to check the radius arms and bushes as they may cause axle rotation when worn out badly or broken.

By the way, I'm kind of concerned about the hole in the footwell and I think you should have a look at this as soon as possible just to rule out that its something serious.

Hi Lars,

when you say something could be serious, do you mean the footwell or radius arms? If you mean the footwell, in what way serious? The hole is on the face leading to under the wheel arch and is not affecting the feet onthe pedals

I looked under the vehicle at the lower damper mounts with one hand on the bottom of the axle tube & Ged bounced on the bumper to make the suspension work, I could feel/see & hear the damper pin tapping the axle tube & with a torch could see witness marks on the tube [small shiney area] & on the pin end on both sides of the vehicle

I just meant to have a look as if something punctures the footwell it must have been a serious impact.

Together with your clicking from the brakes I just would make sure that it wasn't a part from the brakes or the axle.

Nothing to panic, but I would just have a look to exclude this. Most likely it was debris from the road.

I just meant to have a look as if something punctures the footwell it must have been a serious impact.

Together with your clicking from the brakes I just would make sure that it wasn't a part from the brakes or the axle.

Nothing to panic, but I would just have a look to exclude this. Most likely it was debris from the road.

No worries, teh hole is definately rust and not something that has punctured it. It just makes any sounds seem like they all come from the right hand wheel but who knows, sound travels round these things like nobodies business