Door unlocking problem

muddyplugger

I've got a bit of a hunch here, that, when I took my Disco II in for a diagnostic on testbook (ABS affair), they had a fiddle with some other bits for a laugh!

The problem is passenger door will not unlock with remote. No attempt from the actuator even, no noise, zilch.

It will lock, no problem, but the only way to open the door is from the interior handle.

I am no electrian but if I get the actuator locking then the unit works, cables are in place and all is well??

I thought I would explore the possiblities of the thing going t1t$ up like the rest of the car before I went back to the stealer, for testbook again! (it would be just my luck for it to be a physical problem and then find me looking sheepish in the Stealers with a hole in my wallet, as it wasn't their fault.)

Any ideas?

It could just need lots of lubrication.

The actuator may have gone weak, and is capable of operating the lock side of things but cannot force the mechanism to open.

I'd pop the door panel off and spray generous quantities of WD40 or similar around the lock and connectors, operate the lock with the key to free it all off (you'll need to close the latch with a screwdriver to lock-unlock it, just remember to release the catch by opening the door handle before trying to shut it). If this affects performance it may be worth replacing the actuator.

Personally I'd just take it back to the stealer and get it put back on testbook. It's amazing what they can do wrong, as you will recall from the time they told my ECU that all the doors in the car were open all the time regardless of whether they were or not. 15 minutes fiddling and they found the problem they had caused.

Question is, do you want to risk it going back on testbook and aggravating your ABS/HDC/WD40 light problem?