Discovery 1 upgrades - What is needed and what is nice to have?

Tetsu0san

Hi all

I am looking at upgrading my Disco with various parts for general off road usage. Nothing to hardcore, just mainly greenlaning and a few pay and play days (more the greenlaning side though). This is a pretty standard 300tdi at the moment, only having the EGR removed.

As a general rule I don't want to go over the top and I have an idea as to what I think is needed and what I think just looks good.

My thoughts are as follows:

Needed

1. Rock sliders - On a pay and play it was very apparent that the sills get bashed so I figure this is a good place to start. Jackable ones?

2. Off road tyres - Slipped a bit on a pay and play (already bought some of these though ;) )

3. Diff guards

Nice to have

1. Winch bumper and winch - Looks cool but it also will help on greelaning and recovery. Also the stock bumper got a bit knocked on a pay and play.

2. CB Radio - For communication between cars when out green laning (again, already bought)

3. Lifted suspension - 2" max I think. Heard many stories conflicting with each other about what you do and don't need. If I went lifted I would probably get corrected radius and trailing arms, double cardon prop shaft for the front (will a TD5 Disco 2 fit?) as well as lengthened brake hoses (your thoughts are welcomed)

4. Heavy duty rear bumper - So it would take the knocks. Jackable?

5. Steering guard - Is this really needed?

6. Snorkle - Again it looks cool, but is it really needed unless you are wading?

7. Remove the anti roll bars - Increased articulation, but what other impact will this have?

8. Rear tank guard - Currently has a towbar so this will offer a little protection possibly?

If I were to just get heavy duty springs rather than a lift kit, would these give a little lift and be better generally than standard springs? Do I even need a lift?

Should I remove the tow bar and get a detachable one instead? If I do that, then my departure angle will be increase, but the rear bumper may take a bashing and require a heavy duty one.

Please, your thoughts are welcomed.

For what you describe you don't need anything else - the tyres and CB are fine. My Disco 1 started out like this and my Disco 2 is now to the same standard (as the Disco 1 went too far to be used for green laning etc)

In order of importance I would now:

1. Remove the anti roll bars, Discos didn't have them to start with anyway! They seriously restrict the articulation. The on-road handling will be noticably worse, but only the same as 1989 - 91 discos were from the factory.

2. Remove the front spoiler, number plate mount and trim the bumper caps to improve clearance

3. Fit a steering guard and front diff guard

4. Fit extended breathers for axles and gearbox/transfer case

5. Remove the tow bar and fit a removable one (will work as a basic guard at a fraction of the price)

6. Then think about a lift - a basic 2" lift kit of springs and shocks combined with some extended brake lines is fine, then you don't need all the other gubbins.

And that would make a great pay and play machine. All the other stuff you mention just adds ability in certain areas - the winch, rock sliders, snorkle are all great, but you don't need them.

As for heavy duty bumpers, they are completely unnesscary in my opinion. As long as you can still get through the doors what does it matter about how bent bits are :D

IMHO the essentials are recovery points and tyres suitable for the terrain, in that order.

The one common thing about all off road vehicles I've come across is their ability to get stuck and when they are, towing eyes and tie down points are not the same as good recovery points. the rear tow hitches can be ok, though you really need something that a rope can't slip off, so the clevis tow hitches or combined tow ball and clevis hitches are better than the basic 50mm ball hitches.

Different terain requires different tyres and ultimately your tyres will have to be a compromise. Even extreme off road tyres can vary a lot depending whether they are suited to rocks, mud or swamps etc.

Lots of off road armour can have its disadvantages, the vehicle gets heavier for a start. Some items like steering guards don't protect all the steering components which some people only find out after they have bent a track rod. I also know a friends steering was limited because of the steering guard filling up with mud.

Some items like snorkles and winches are double edged swords at pay and plays, you can get a lot of peer pressure to use them, but at least that gives the friends and spectators a good laugh.

Suspension will always be a compromise, LR did a good job activing a reasonable balanceing with the standard suspension. Raising it does increase ground clearance under the chassis and body, but there is a lot more to suspension than just clearance. The same goes for removing anti roll bars.

I have already removed the plastics from the front bumper as this seemed a quick fix for the scraping noises when coming down a hill.

I am reluctant to remove the antiroll bars as I use it on the road quite a bit. I have heard of quick release antiroll bars. Do you know anything about these?

You have not mentioned rock sliders. Does this generally mean that I am way off in thinking these are needed?

The lift is also something that has been advised by a couple of people, and I think this may be the next thing to do. BUT I have a little trouble getting into the engine bay as it is, a lift will make that even harder!! Will have to get a little step ladder!

think its all about what u want and how much u want to spend bud

for most green lane stuff a standard truck will do

but that never stopped anyone

i found the more i got into off roading the more hardcore things got , i think the best way is to use your truck and when u find things that limit what u want to do then improve

rock sliders , winches roll cages ect are all part of a fully kitted truck i think , not all needed tho

37" boggers , mad suspention , portal axles ect was another step for me

my truck (when finished ) is well over the top for green lanes ect , but iv built my truck because i can and enjoy building stuff

Unless you are fitting much bigger tyres don't bother with a lift, it will upset the road handling and make the truck unstable on side slopes.

You can fit 235/85/16 tyres on an unlifted truck as long as you don't mind triming a bit of bodywork, which I think is preferable to lifting it.

I'd make sure your recovery points are up to scratch, then go for some decent mud tyres, nothing too extreme or you'll run the risk of breaking half-shafts...

I would also make sure you have the following (which nobody ever remembers when they are telling you to buy a winch and roll cage)

Fire extinguisher

decent first aid kit (not a supermarker special)

spade

gloves

good boots

decent tow rope + proper rated shackles (not unstamped monkey metal items)

Container of water

jack suitable for lifting the vehicle while off road (punctures will happen!)

torch

basic tool kit

Unless you are fitting much bigger tyres don't bother with a lift, it will upset the road handling and make the truck unstable on side slopes.

You can fit 235/85/16 tyres on an unlifted truck as long as you don't mind triming a bit of bodywork, which I think is preferable to lifting it.

I'd make sure your recovery points are up to scratch, then go for some decent mud tyres, nothing too extreme or you'll run the risk of breaking half-shafts...

I would also make sure you have the following (which nobody ever remembers when they are telling you to buy a winch and roll cage)

Fire extinguisher

decent first aid kit (not a supermarker special)

spade

gloves

good boots

decent tow rope + proper rated shackles (not unstamped monkey metal items)

Container of water

jack suitable for lifting the vehicle while off road (punctures will happen!)

torch

basic tool kit

Your take on a lift is exactly what I have been thinking. The lifting idea worries me due to the change in castor and steering geometry. I don't mind trimming the body work and larger tyres seems like an easy win, and I would imagine fitting new springs will also help if there has been any sag from the old ones.

I have already got some of the items in that list - Boots, strops, shackles (good ones, not cheapy unrated ones), gloves. Was going to get the other stuff probably over the weekend at the Eastnor LR show or from the local army surplus.

Never really thought about the jack but that makes more sense than anything. However, I have a bottle jack which may not be up to the task. The high lift jacks are another idea but do you need jacking points?

A basic tool kit also makes sense. This should be easy enough.

Am I way off with thinking of fitting rock sliders? I used to have side steps and just one day at a pay and play caused them to bend up like a bananna so I presumed that this could cause issues with the body if I don't have any protection there. Am I just being a little to cautious?

Never really thought about the jack but that makes more sense than anything. However, I have a bottle jack which may not be up to the task. The high lift jacks are another idea but do you need jacking points?

Yes, you would need jacking points, which you'd get if you fitted rocksliders + a steering guard on the front, however a bottle jack will be quite acceptable with a decent spreader plate, to stop it digging itself into the ground (can use a piece of thick ply for this)

Only snag with this is having to crawl under the vehicle when its wet/muddy to put the jack in place.

Am I way off with thinking of fitting rock sliders? I used to have side steps and just one day at a pay and play caused them to bend up like a bananna so I presumed that this could cause issues with the body if I don't have any protection there. Am I just being a little to cautious?

I'd bin the side steps, as they'll only cause grief, but the body is quite strong (there is a structural beam under the cills) which would be OK as long as you dont bounce onto any rocks.

Rock sliders are good, but not vital (I don't think the Camel disco's had them)

if you dont mind scratched/bent doors, then you dont need rock sliders. they will still work fine, just look a little tatty, which can be covered with strategic chequer plate.

diff guard on front is a must IMO

same goes for tow rope and decent recovery points

i would highly advise a tank guard, even if you do have a towball

anti rollbars do seriously restrict performance off road, and IMO its not too bad without them. you would still dare to do drifts lol. maybe, make sure that the bolts to the axles are not seized then it would take 5 minutes to unbolt them and strap them up to the chassis when needed.

a lift isnt necessary, however my views have changed recently and now have decided i would quite like one (wouldnt need if i had a 90)

you dont need heavy duty bumpers, but if they do get so bent that you cant open the rear door :ph34r: you could always botch one up like i did.

apart from diff guards, bash plate, rock sliders, bumper trim, fuel pump fiddle and tyres mines standard and it is ideal for what i need (bearing in mind im only 16 and dont take it on the road)

my landy

mikey

ooh and i have 110 shocks on the rear, which give about 1 inch extra travel (highly unneccesary, but they were cheaper than disco ones)

Yes, you would need jacking points, which you'd get if you fitted rocksliders + a steering guard on the front, however a bottle jack will be quite acceptable with a decent spreader plate, to stop it digging itself into the ground (can use a piece of thick ply for this)

Only snag with this is having to crawl under the vehicle when its wet/muddy to put the jack in place.

I'd bin the side steps, as they'll only cause grief, but the body is quite strong (there is a structural beam under the cills) which would be OK as long as you dont bounce onto any rocks.

Rock sliders are good, but not vital (I don't think the Camel disco's had them)

This was the first 'upgrade' I did as they were pretty useless after that. Turns out they were pretty rotten anyway.

Here's my mate's old Disco, he used for many green lane adventures, pay and play days, and Seven Sisters up in Wales. It always performed very well and he always had fun:

post-5209-1244531745_thumb.jpg

It had:

Steering gaurd with recovery points

Tow bar as rear recovery point

1" lift spacers, standard springs and shocks

Snorkle

235/70/16 mud tyres

I don't think you need any more than that.

Hello all,

As a newbie to this forum, but not to Land Rovers, I have found this quite interesting. I have just bought my first disco to play with, and have found from previous experience that Land Rover had built a fairly capable vehicle straight off the production line. Although I do agree with having good recovery points, a tool kit etc on board to be able to sort out when things go to rats.

But thanks again for the usefull info on mods for the disco.

Here's my mate's old Disco, he used for many green lane adventures, pay and play days, and Seven Sisters up in Wales. It always performed very well and he always had fun:

post-5209-1244531745_thumb.jpg

It had:

Steering gaurd with recovery points

Tow bar as rear recovery point

1" lift spacers, standard springs and shocks

Snorkle

235/70/16 mud tyres

I don't think you need any more than that.

Agree with this. I've done very few mods and had no probs.

Don't mess around too much with the motor and you'll save yourself a lot of grief and money!!!

Have a look at My Album to see what I've done - tyres, 2"lift, some underbody armour and a wading kit.

HTH Rob

Hi all

I am looking at upgrading my Disco with various parts for general off road usage. Nothing to hardcore, just mainly greenlaning and a few pay and play days (more the greenlaning side though). This is a pretty standard 300tdi at the moment, only having the EGR removed.

As a general rule I don't want to go over the top and I have an idea as to what I think is needed and what I think just looks good.

My thoughts are as follows:

Needed

1. Rock sliders - On a pay and play it was very apparent that the sills get bashed so I figure this is a good place to start. Jackable ones?

2. Off road tyres - Slipped a bit on a pay and play (already bought some of these though ;) )

3. Diff guards

Nice to have

1. Winch bumper and winch - Looks cool but it also will help on greelaning and recovery. Also the stock bumper got a bit knocked on a pay and play.

2. CB Radio - For communication between cars when out green laning (again, already bought)

3. Lifted suspension - 2" max I think. Heard many stories conflicting with each other about what you do and don't need. If I went lifted I would probably get corrected radius and trailing arms, double cardon prop shaft for the front (will a TD5 Disco 2 fit?) as well as lengthened brake hoses (your thoughts are welcomed)

4. Heavy duty rear bumper - So it would take the knocks. Jackable?

5. Steering guard - Is this really needed?

6. Snorkle - Again it looks cool, but is it really needed unless you are wading?

7. Remove the anti roll bars - Increased articulation, but what other impact will this have?

8. Rear tank guard - Currently has a towbar so this will offer a little protection possibly?

If I were to just get heavy duty springs rather than a lift kit, would these give a little lift and be better generally than standard springs? Do I even need a lift?

Should I remove the tow bar and get a detachable one instead? If I do that, then my departure angle will be increase, but the rear bumper may take a bashing and require a heavy duty one.

Please, your thoughts are welcomed.

I would really advise rock sliders as did not have them on my disco on a trail and recked sill was u shaped, replaced sill with box section which has sorted that weakness. That and two inch lift kit she nice bit of kit now