hello all, in my quest to improve the handling of my 110 my next job is to replace the radius arm bushes. As i need to take the track rod off the get the arms out, i was planning on cheeking the pre load the the same time.

does anyone know what the resistance should be, in situ with the seal inplace?

any help would b appreciated, thanks.

manual only says swivel pre=load 3.4kg to 4.5kg with seal removed, it doesn't give a figure with the seal fitted.

try a search for swivel pre load as it comes up quite a lot

Would that be for the Raiko bushes? - For my RRC with taper roller bearings, the book quotes 1.16Kg to 1.46Kg.

I'm going to get a spring-balance this weekend to check, but in when I tighten mine I get that notchiness feeling long before I think I get near that sort of preload, and as a general principle I am not too happy pre-loading a taper roller bearing to that degree..

Hi Hairy,

I wouldn't bother trying to check pre load you won't obtain a meaningful result, instead just check for free travel over range with no play when load placed on wheel.

I rebuilt my front axle recently and set it up as per manual, its quite difficult even on the bench to get a steady reading accross full range of travel and inertia of the components means you get a higher reading as you start to move just the swivel housing. Add the resistance of the lip seal hardy-spicer and brake pipe and the additional inertia of the hub, disc and calliper etc and i really don't think you'll get anything meaningful out the exercise other than worries that your preload is too high. B)

regards

Rob

Would that be for the Raiko bushes? - For my RRC with taper roller bearings, the book quotes 1.16Kg to 1.46Kg.

I'm going to get a spring-balance this weekend to check, but in when I tighten mine I get that notchiness feeling long before I think I get near that sort of preload, and as a general principle I am not too happy pre-loading a taper roller bearing to that degree..

from the genuine Defender workshop manual for vehicles upto & including the 200Tdi engined versions, no mention of other type of bearings.

Thanks for the info, I will have a good look and olny start worring if find any play, ive been suffering for steering wobble on rough roads. Im hoping the new bushes will make a diffrence, but im just trying to check everything else that it could possibly be.

I replaced the panhard rod bushes afew weeks ago, had great fun gettin the old one out ended up using a blow torch and hack saw. I gona take the radius arms off at weekend and get a grarage to press them out should hopefully save alot of stress.

As for bearings im alittle confused.... been reading old threads, im i right in thiking the railko bush has 17mm bolts and the later taper roller bearing are 13mm?