steering wobble

ally

hi guys

spoke to you last week regarding my disks and pads these are now done and its going fine , but i hav a problem with my steering wheel shaking at 50 mph wheels have just been balanced its a 2000 w td5

cheers again

Ally

Try a better description of the wobble. Is it the death wobble (shaking violently when you hit a pothole/bump in the road, almost out of control)? Does it occur when accelerating, braking, coasting, overrun? If you increase the speed does it go away? What's the speed range?

Try a better description of the wobble. Is it the death wobble (shaking violently when you hit a pothole/bump in the road, almost out of control)? Does it occur when accelerating, braking, coasting, overrun? If you increase the speed does it go away? What's the speed range?

cheers for the reply

the wobble on the wheel occurs at 50 mph its fine up to that speed and fine above. its got 18 inch genuine wheels and good quality michelin tyres the shake occurs on any stretch of road and i dont need to hit a pot hole.i know larger wheel can be a bit more juddery but there must be something else. any ideas?

cheers

I presume the steering is shaking at around 50 when you go up but it also shakes when you go down (say from 60 to 40 mph). In which case I'd suspect the wheels.

Try replacing the front wheels with the rear ones and vice versa.

I presume the steering is shaking at around 50 when you go up but it also shakes when you go down (say from 60 to 40 mph). In which case I'd suspect the wheels.

Try replacing the front wheels with the rear ones and vice versa.

done that and it hasent helped yea you were right with your analysis it does shake when you go down from 60 to 40

Ally

Try to borrow a set of wheels from another D2.

Or have yours checked/balanced again (ask them nicely to check them before removing the old weights).

But before that check/clean the inside of the wheel rim for/from mud, if any (have them cleaned before balancing).

How long between last balancing the wheels and the steering shake?

Are they aftermarket wheels, factory fitted, bought second hand, what's their history?

Try to borrow a set of wheels from another D2.

Or have yours checked/balanced again (ask them nicely to check them before removing the old weights).

But before that check/clean the inside of the wheel rim for/from mud, if any (have them cleaned before balancing).

How long between last balancing the wheels and the steering shake?

Are they aftermarket wheels, factory fitted, bought second hand, what's their history?

genuine wheels fitted about 2 years ago wheels cleaned and balanced yesterday. could it be balljoint ?,would that cause the shake

Ally

Steering play in the ball joints usually give a wobble on a greater range of speeds, but they should be checked nonetheless.

So you had the same rims and tyres for the past 2 years.

What about the day before yesterday? Was there any shake?

I have twice had weights detach themselves from wheels after they have been balanced.

The last occasion, going up the M62/M1 from getting my BFG's fitted, nearly all of them flew off one after the other!

I ended up having to get the wheels re-balanced, but this time using the weights that glue on rather than clip on the rims.

I suspect cipx may be on to the answer........................

Steering play in the ball joints usually give a wobble on a greater range of speeds, but they should be checked nonetheless.

So you had the same rims and tyres for the past 2 years.

What about the day before yesterday? Was there any shake?

ive only had the car about three months but i know the guy who had it before me.the wobble has been there since ive had it , ive swapped all wheels, had them balanced, changed disks and pads . the wobble is still there!

any ideas

Ally

Mine had the shakes/wobbles at 100 km/h. Replaced worn ball joints, all 4, shakes/wobbles were les violent, adjusted the steering box "dead ahead" free play, improved, but still there, new tyres, more improvement but still a trace of a wobble, replaced the shocks.......shakes/wobbles gone. (Disco 1 300 Tdi)

Mine had the shakes/wobbles at 100 km/h. Replaced worn ball joints, all 4, shakes/wobbles were les violent, adjusted the steering box "dead ahead" free play, improved, but still there, new tyres, more improvement but still a trace of a wobble, replaced the shocks.......shakes/wobbles gone. (Disco 1 300 Tdi)

gonna have to start lookin deeper as there seems to be so many avenues to investigate ,ball joints, shocks, universal joints ,steering damper

Ally