OT G wagon engine choice

A pal has a very special G Wagon, rollcage, bobbed, winches front and back, generally abused.

He has killed his (dog slow) N/A merc diesel.

He wants a big turbo diesel with an auto box behind. It must be an easy change (no electronics!)

Due to the drivetrain of the G he has a remote transfer box which he wants to keep, and this allows big car diesels in anyway.

A merc 300d six cylinder is a drop in, but expensive to buy.

Any ideas please?

I wondered about a 200 tdi without the transfer box?

I also wondered about an omega 2.5 bmw diesel with auto? unsure about electronics here?

Thanks RR

DirtyDiesel's Mog axled G-wagen has a 300tdi in it. Unfortunately I know nothing more than that tho, and DD is out in russia with HOFS at the moment, so information is likely a couple of weeks away.

The Omega 6pot derv is a BMW M51, and has an electronic Bosch VE pump. If you were to use that you'd be better off using one from a 325tds or 525tds as they make more power. Its not the most reliable engine ever though, and especially with the age of them getting on a bit now, they can be prone to injector pump failure.

How much power does he want, as that will surely dicate the engine. Bear in mind that most diesels built in the last 10-15 years will tend to have ECU's, even if they use a mechanical injector pump.

Thanks Fellas.

The merc sprinter engine looks like the best choice for ease, would like to get rid of the manual box tho.

Anyone know how much pain to shift an "electronic" diesel into a new vehicle.

Much less info about this kind of swap, I'm presuming the ECU transplant makes life difficult.

RR

Not neccessarily, but some knowledge of the donor would be required.

The audi motor i'm fitting in my 90 only has about 6 or so wires between the engine loom and the car to get it running, then some more for various sensors and things and its from a relatively complicated 1997 Audi A8. I've had to get the appropriate immobiliser parts from the donor car to make it work however.

Nearly all cars built after '95 have transponder immobilisers (perhaps there was some legislation to make it a requirement?) so you need to have a bit of knowledge of the particular implementation to work out what you need. Some cars are tied into the management system like the audi lump, others, like the landrover system, has a seperate immobiliser unit which can be bypassed with the correct knowhow.

After around 2000 a lot of manufacturers went to CANBUS systems, and these are usually a LOT more difficult to transplant, as the engine ECU wants to be able to chat to the body control ecu, which wants to chat to every other system on the car, and if its not all there all hell breaks loose!

if he`s after stupid simple - why not one of the merc 5cyl turbos or a GMv8 diesel?

all totally mechanical and can be bolted to a variety of autos.

both are quite heavy, buts its going in a G wagon which already has its own planetry systems in orbit, so wont make much difference! B)

DirtyDiesel's Mog axled G-wagen has a 300tdi in it. Unfortunately I know nothing more than that tho, and DD is out in russia with HOFS at the moment, so information is likely a couple of weeks away.

DD's G wagon has a bit of history.....

Many moons ago, it was living with my Rover V8 in it, mated to the g wagon auto box and transfer box.

When the Diesel went in, it was fitted to a 2 wheel drive lt77 and utilised the merc remote transfer box. [the box has survived in part due to the gearing of the portals]

As a few on here know, that motor is a capable one, and with some fear of raising the petrol vs diesel debate, and when DD gets back, Im fairly sure he will agree that with RV8 in [albeit a good one] it was a very powerfull and capable motor...the fitting of a LR diesel did make the vehicle lose some of its edge...... but DD tweaked the diesel and on a recent playday was climbing hills like a "gud un".

What is the strength of the Merc remote transfer box then, as that would seem to be the important link in the chain.

By all accounts legendary.

I have not heard anyone complain of a failure there.

Maybe cos they have locking axles too?

I think a lot of our failures on rovers are attributable to open diffs.

Anyway he loves it.

I think it will be the merc 300d and he will have to save his dough cos he wants the auto box too.

I think the remote t-box opens up a range of exciting options from 2WD vehicles. Toyota/Lexus diesel? VAG 2.5TDi? Cummins 6BT? Supra engine? Rover KV6?

Actually me too.

MMmm supra engine me like..

Another mate has a suzuki jimny with ford v6, merc auto, merc locking axles and suzuki remote transfer rock lobster box. I covet that thing too.... must get round to putting my merc axles under the rangie.

DSCF0751.jpg

as its got a remote transfer box - then the choices are fairly endless as long as the engine has a rwd gearbox on the back of it and it isnt 20 foot long!

hows about a nice nissan 4.2td. Dont think we got the turbo version in the uk, but plenty of people have retrofitted the turbo and it makes earth shattering power and torque. I think someone on difflock has recently done one in the Nissan section of their forum.

extremely simple and tough engine with an extremely tough gearbox. Plus there's lots of knackered rusty lwb patrols on ebay with them fitted. Rob the engine and box and flog the axles on to someone wanting tough axles under their landy. That leaves you with 2 tonne of steel to weigh in at the scrap man. probably wont cost you anything for the engine that way!