speed sensor on a G.K.N overdrive

I am having some problems with a g.k.n overdrive , it keeps cuting in and out as i am driving.

Im pretty sure that the speed sensor is shot and needs replacing.

The question i have is, If i snip the wires on the speed sensor and join them together will i then be able to engage the overdrive just by the switch on the gear stick ?. Now i know not to engage below 35mpr and this will let me know that the problem is the speed sensor, am i right ?

Has anyone done this , and if so did it workout ?.

Thanks

Ronan.

The speed sensor works by electric pulse from the O/D. I would imagine that it wouldn't work at all if you did that. V8Freak has a very similar problem with his at the moment - it makes the truck kangaroo. It'll trash your transmission if you don't stop using the O/D.

Les.

I had this problem with my overdrive. I removed the speed sensor and cleaned it and ensured that all electrical connections were tight which cured the problem.

If you still have a problem, a 12 volt switched feed direct to the solenoid should enable you to bypass the electronics and engage and disengage the overdrive.

Gerald

Check the oil as well. If its sucked EP90 from the transfer box, if the wrong oil has been put in it, or if the level is low, it may do this as the pump cannot work properly. It may also be a sticky solenoid. Mine did it after filling itself with EP90 as the seals were leaking. I stripped it down after this to change the seals and refilled with ATF and it has been fine since. As Ralph says, Devon supply the spares and are very helpful - ask to speak to the chap who deals with overdrives i think his name is Martin Kingdon.

Does the light come on at all on the gearknob while it's jumping in and out of Overdrive ?

If yes.. Check the connections to the solenoid on the Overdrive.... Lights on and no overdrive in this situation is probably bad connections there or worst case, duff sensor.

If no lights, and jumping in and out, then look at the wires in the gear knob itself.. If all connected, move down the gear lever to where they go through the tunnel. Mine's broken a wire there somewhere and I'll need to strip out to check cables.

If unsure, be very poilte, call Devon4x4 and ask for Martin. Fluff his feathers by saying how you've heard he is the man for advice and he'll help you diagnose. He's an ace chap.

Neil

Does the light come on at all on the gearknob while it's jumping in and out of Overdrive ?

If yes.. Check the connections to the solenoid on the Overdrive.... Lights on and no overdrive in this situation is probably bad connections there or worst case, duff sensor.

If no lights, and jumping in and out, then look at the wires in the gear knob itself.. If all connected, move down the gear lever to where they go through the tunnel. Mine's broken a wire there somewhere and I'll need to strip out to check cables.

If unsure, be very poilte, call Devon4x4 and ask for Martin. Fluff his feathers by saying how you've heard he is the man for advice and he'll help you diagnose. He's an ace chap.

Neil

Thanks for all the info, il give devon4x4 a call.

Ronan.