Improving 90 Safety - Ideas?

My '02 90 is off the road for a few weeks having a couple of new panels and a partial respray. A friend had a head-on in her 110 last week in which a Peugeot 106 drunk driver decided that he no longer wanted a Peugeot 106 so what better way to write it off than to do 60mph round a blind, single track bend into a Landy towing a loaded horse trailer? Damage to 110, bent bumper end, leaking diff, knack'ed wheel. Damage to 106 - splattered. Luckily there were no injuries as the 110 was only doing 15mph - due to the blind bend and a horse on the back... It brought it home to us how accidents so can easily happen in the least likely places and I wondered how I can improve the safety of my 90. I'm pretty confident of coming off okay in an end-on collison, but what about the sides? There isn't much strength in a 90/110 door and IMHO any vehicle 'T' boning one wouldn't stop until it got to the chassis rail, which we sit above ! The two options I've thought of are rock sliders to replace the flimsy sills and a rollcage, but I don't go offroading, so a cage seems overkill. Or is it? Better overkill than killing us.. We live in the Highlands where foreign tourists and p****d locals doing stupid things on single track roads is rife.

Anyone any ideas or advice, or experience of side-on impacts?? Away soon so can't reply from 6th - 13th..

rock sliders would work for side impacts. Painted in the body colour and they would blend in.

Internal roll hoop would work for a roll over. Being internal only it doesn't stand out. Roll hoop would be easily sourced from North Off-Road or Protection & Performance

Steve

Rock sliders with tree bars are about asd good as it gets for defender side protection, however i have heard of a case where a car was rolled on its side because of the lifting motion of the impacting car under the slider.

Takes your choice but id rather be in one piece and on my side, than have a car parked on my lap in a side impact.

i fell infinitely safer knowing i have an internal safety devices roll hoop in my 90. the roof structure on defenders is almost non existant and they collapse alarmingly flat against the dashboard!

Plus i have rocksliders and a very solid tube front bumper.

most things have so far bounced off my truck, and its escaped every one with just minor dents.

Rock sliders with tree bars do it for me too.

On the plus side, they really don't look out of place on a defender.

On the + plus side they're very handy for fending off clumsily opened car doors in the local supermarket car park.

Seems logical to me, guys.. I'll do some web searching for bits. SMO, is your motor an Ashcrofts conversion to auto..? Mega brownie points for me from wife if I converted mine..! I've looked into it a couple of times but price is a bit daunting, that's another TD5's worth of moolah!

Contrary to popular belief a 90/110 is not good in a front end collision.

The lack of crumple zones means that the lr driver will take the brunt of the deceleration forces. I do know someone who was involved in an accident 20 years ago, in the accident the oncoming driver was unhurt but his car was destroyed, the land rover was virtually undamaged but the driver still suffers from a knee injury where his knee met the dashboard very hard.

What would the defender score in the euro ncap test? My guess is that it wouldn't get one star, a range rover scores 4 for example.

The best form of defence is to make sure you have very good brakes and tyres and adopt defensive driving techniques.

The lack of crumple zones means that the lr driver will take the brunt of the deceleration forces. I do know someone who was involved in an accident 20 years ago, in the accident the oncoming driver was unhurt but his car was destroyed, the land rover was virtually undamaged but the driver still suffers from a knee injury where his knee met the dashboard very hard.

What would the defender score in the euro ncap test? My guess is that it wouldn't get one star, a range rover scores 4 for example.

The best form of defence is to make sure you have very good brakes and tyres and adopt defensive driving techniques.

Contrary to this having done 40-0 in 0.001 seconds i can say their toughness and lack of give probably saved me, it wrote off my beloved 90 but i walked away with little more than a bruse on my cheek and a sore neck for a few days!

EdF - its nto an ashcroft conversion kit but i did get a compushift controller from Dave Ashcroft.

Defenders are classed as commercial vehicles so the euro N-cap does not apply to the current models.

That is correct. However Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi have all voluntarily put their double cabs through the euro ncap even though they are also classed as commercials.

Interesting. My wife pointed out that she would not like to be in any collision in the 90 due to the sharp edges everywhere and lack of airbags. Not much one can do about it, though.., apart from buying another vehicle.

The lack of crumple zones means that the lr driver will take the brunt of the deceleration forces.

i dont actually care about Ncap ratings and i think it is deceiving as well to the end user.

A small 900kg renault clio has 5 stars. This means its very very safe when hitting a stationary object at 30mph. However the only factors in the crash are the speed and weight of the vehicle itself.

I dont care how many stars it gets, when a 2.5tonne vehicle hits a 900kg vehicle at 30mph, its going to get crushed as its being exposed to almost 3 times the force that it was exposed to in the Ncap tests.

I personally agree with the national vehicle insurance statistics, which show that a defender is one of the safest vehicles on the road with almost the lowest death rates per 1000 accidents than any other vehicle on the road. I think the discovery was the best and that only has 3 stars. Weight is always an important factor and when you;re talking about the weight of a 90/110, then the other vehicle acts as a very effective crumple zone :D