alligator / maxicross tyres

v8bobber

I had a bit of a "doh!" moment last night as about 5 minutes after I put this post on I found a couple of suppliers

Main one that I had heard of is Simmonites, the size I want is 7.50 x 16, any smaller and you get caught in the ruts left by other vehicles whilst trialling. I'd be interested to see what aspect ratio the 245s are that they advertise. Both are £63 plus Vat. I think I will have to keep with my part knackered Grizzly Claws for the time being, despite the rest of the vehicle being virtually new!

I've got to be honest but i've never used this type of tyre, but have used the Greenway Atacama in the past which was really good. I know dumpers are highly regarded but I think that is only in certain circumstances. Deep mud being one of them. However I know that they are no brilliant when they have side loading on them. Shale and rock are not ideal for them either I think.

I've nothing to base my thinkings on, but reckon that the Maxi-cross is probably going to be the best all round. It's a big motorcross tyre at the end of the day!

Any other opinions on the best trials tyre (unlimited) would be interesting

Dave

sorry to hi-jack, but is there a maximum tyres size for trialing in the regs?

No probs, you would have to consult your own regs for the particular club you are in. I know that our own club stipulates (in probably outdated rules) that the maximum size is 900x16 although it is almost impossible to buy this size now. I think I need to sit down one day and work out what that is in Metric, probably something like a 255/85x 16 or similar.

You will probably find that there is also a limit on what pattern you are allowed to use, and might be dependant on what class you are in. Studs and chains are out anyway I would say.

Dave