'A' Frame on Range Rover back axle ?

Landowner

Had a look under my 1990 Range Rover classic (vouge) today and was wondering what the 'A' Frame thing is and the big coiled shock absorber.

Does the car need this as it looks the same as a Defender axle set up apart from this lot.

Just wondering that if it all went wrong then could I bin it and just run it like a Defender axle set up.

It's the Boge self leveller, it quite likely to have failed on this age of vehicle.

If you want to test it, measure the ride height at the back with no load, then load the boot with a couple hundred kg, and measure the height again. go for a reasonable drive and then measure again. the ride height should have come back up to the unladen height.

Removing it doesn't cause any problems, apart from the obvious lack of function. if you regularly carry heavy loads and the Boge unit was working, you may find you need stiffer rear springs to compensate.

Just to be absolutely clear here - you definitely need the A frame - it is the same as a defender and is needed to keep your axle in the right place!

As Luke said, the Boge unit is almost certainly toast by now and it can be removed.

Just to be absolutely clear here - you definitely need the A frame - it is the same as a defender and is needed to keep your axle in the right place!

As Luke said, the Boge unit is almost certainly toast by now and it can be removed.

Thanks for all that.

Lot clearer now, there is an A Frame on the defender now I recall, was a bit worried when I saw that huge spring.

I'll be moving my caravan soon so will see how it goes with that.

Thanks again all

:D