XTC....

My buggy that I am building, as shown below... just for starters, it does not have an A & B pilar "hoop" as such... that alone as far as I know is enough to rule it out of "racing" under MSA regs....

001-5.jpg

It does have "hoops" for the A and B pillar, they are just not one piece hoops. there is tons of buggys in the states built like this for xrra rock racing. now im not one to say which way is stronger, multiple straight tube or single bent tube. Id side on straight tube, like baja rigs. bent in key spots of the rig just seem to look cleaner.

And for a step higher i have talked to a couple baja and rock race/crawl guys for their take on some odds and ends. for just about everyone's tech inspections, ive been told to build a strong cage with lots of triangles and gussets and ill be fine on any level.

so as the crazy american monkey here, what is a "must" for the design in a cage to meet MSA spec.

Interesting debate but i really dont see the problem with cages having to be MSA spec, if you want to enter the event then you comply, and for those saying its pricey - im sorry but you only have to look at our sport to see there is plenty of money floating about with most serious competitors building a new vehicle every season or at least every other with a radical rebuild inbetween.

Personally i dont have bags of cash, but i shall still compete and think it would be a shame to make the event into really short sections and lose the "speed" element of it as it was originally intended.

Back on the subject of the XTC :rolleyes:

It seems rumours are circulating that we are abandoning the idea for the future.

This is not the case, the XTC will feature prominently in our plans for 2010. Unfortunately the calendar this year is just too congested to fit another event in.

It is important that people who are interested in the discipline or building vehicles keep in touch with us so we can gauge interest.

The earlier discussion regarding a change of format to Time Trial was merely to gauge response, it seems the majority feel the Point to Point format is the right one so we will proceed down that avenue.

I would think 8 months is just about enough time to bring most trucks up to the necessary spec :P

That's great news :)

Neil, we are planning to build a new vehicle for 2010 XTC... and I've been meaning to have a chat with you about that... all being well, we planned to do a 10-day build of with another company, and both build an XTC racer in the 10 days...

The plan is to get in touch with a few mags, of which I'm sure they'd be VERY keen to feature it... would be great for getting XTC some attention?... your thoughts?

Rob

OK Rob, I see what you mean :lol: However, drawing number 6 suggests it could be OK. As was said on the other thread, as you're building from scratch it isn't terribly hard to satisfy the MSA requirements and then do what you like.....

Do the two rear stays from the rear hoop to the chassis have to be fully welded or can they be fitted with decent brackets to make them removable. I used to have them welded in but they are a pain for challenge events as they restrict the load bed too much.

My stays are attached to the "tray back" but I would run with both if they can be made removable.

To answer the queries

Rob - My understanding is that a spaceframe does have to be certificated. As we have discussed before however the distinction between spaceframe and chassis with cage seems to rest on the use of all-tube as opposed to box and tube. For clarification it may be worth dropping a line to Chief Scrutineer Robbo Aliperti via the contacts page

Alan - Backstays can be removeable providing that the attachment points satisfy the requirements of the Blue Book.

JJ - The event runs under Point to Point regulations

Simon - thanks for reminding me, I was trying to remember where the other embedded PDFs were in the site

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of novice input

I’d be very interested in an event like this. A quote from the XTC topic on AWDC forum

‘There are plenty of Bowler/Tomcat type vehicles out there to which a winch could easily be fitted and it may encourage some of those vehicles to venture out again’.

I can vaguely forward this quote with my vehicle. Although I didn’t actually own it when it was being built :lol:

It was originally made to be used as a safari vehicle but was never complete. The owner then decided to turn it into a challenge vehicle but its transformation was never really completed.

As a result I’ve felt kind of lost in which direction to go in. I don’t have the budget to turn it into either a competitive safari or challenge vehicle. Although with the new XTC event I can now build it for something which I see as being less dependent on the modification of vehicle.

DSC05576-1.jpg

I am defiantly looking forward to the XTC in 2010.