big problem: 300tdi!

got a big issue io think! Our 300tdi defender has broken down, was driven first thing today no problem came back to go after walking dog and starter is spinning really fast as if no compression. First thoughts are cam belt related- had to leave it and come to work in different car- any suggestions what to look at first tonight?

TIA

Tom

doesn't sound belt related to me TBH, especially as you have already driven it. Would be very lucky for it to have gone whilst sat. Best bet is to lift the R/C and see if the pushrods are lifting when you turn it over.

Sounds more like the starter is not engaging on the flywheel to me

got a big issue io think! Our 300tdi defender has broken down, was driven first thing today no problem came back to go after walking dog and starter is spinning really fast as if no compression. First thoughts are cam belt related- had to leave it and come to work in different car- any suggestions what to look at first tonight?

TIA

Tom

should see crank pulley tuning, but does sound like starter not engaging

Ken

doesn't sound belt related to me TBH, especially as you have already driven it. Would be very lucky for it to have gone whilst sat. Best bet is to lift the R/C and see if the pushrods are lifting when you turn it over.

Sounds more like the starter is not engaging on the flywheel to me

Yes did wonder that- it drove to the beach to walk the dog left 25min then came back and spinning over- they more often than not snap at idle- hope it isnt that! will lift the r/c off tonight!

Yes did wonder that- it drove to the beach to walk the dog left 25min then came back and spinning over- they more often than not snap at idle- hope it isnt that! will lift the r/c off tonight!

I agree with Disco Al.

Even if the belt had gone there would still be compression on at least one, and probably 2, of the cylinders. They do make a different noise when they're turning over with a snapped belt but it's hard to explain the difference. More likely to be the starter dog not engaging, hope we're right.

Let us know how you get on won't you?

Mark.

Turn the key and see if the crank pulley spins. If it does - remove the oil filler cap and spin the engine again - you'll be able to see No3 rocker moving if the belt is ok. If the crank doesn't spin, then starter motor or ring gear. If crank spins but no rocker movement, then timing belt snapped (they most commonly snap on start-up or tickover)

Les.

Turn the key and see if the crank pulley spins. If it does - remove the oil filler cap and spin the engine again - you'll be able to see No3 rocker moving if the belt is ok. If the crank doesn't spin, then starter motor or ring gear. If crank spins but no rocker movement, then timing belt snapped (they most commonly snap on start-up or tickover)

Les.

Thanks for all the responses- les i will check tonight- i dont want to believe it is the belt but i think it is- sounded more like a snapped belt the speed it was spinning over! Surprised tho cos belt was changed 2 years ago and car done less than 10k on it! hey ho will look tonight!

Had a good look at the truck- not the cam blet- everything still moving as it should! It transpires its the lift pump- new one was fitted about 6 weeks ago and appears to have packed up! got the truck to start after playing with primer but it is shot- have removed it for now so will geta new one tomo!

Thanks for all replies!

Tom