Pompous prop shaft/unruly UJ

:o I am wondering if it would be advisable to whack the hell out of this UJ :blink: ? The upper end of the drivetrain towards the transfare box came easily out but the one towards the back axle is a PITA :unsure: Check pics below; Last pic is the culprit and it is extremely tight :unsure: and wouldn't budge!!

post-7610-1244612859_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1244612903_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1244612949_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1244612995_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1244613135_thumb.jpg

I am not sure of your question Dan. You seem to have replaced a UJ, what is the problem? Is the joint too tight now it is fitted? I usually give them a good whacking all round once fitted to ensure that the UJ bearing cups are hard up against the circlips, this should ensure a free joint. If not, take it all apart and check that you used a quality joint (nothing less than Hardy Spicer, GKN, Timken or genuine) and that all the needle rollers are where they are supposed to be - i.e., not lying in the bottom of the cup!

In my experience cheap UJs are a false economy and a poor fit.

HTH

Chris

I read the original post differently to Chris.

Dan has successfully changed 1 UJ, (at the T Case end of the shaft). He is now trying to change the other UJ (at the differential end of the shaft). He has removed the circlips, but his 'standard' removal method, using the various sockets and vice also shown, cannot move any of the bearing cups.

Should he use the hammer, also shown in the picture?

My observation is that the yokes are not physically damaged, nor excessively rusty, so there is nothing in the way of the cup leaving the yoke. So it must be just tight.

The maximum pressure given by the vice is limited, the thread is too coarse, so yes, it needs help.

A little heat on the yoke would help. That is, not red hot, but too hot to hold in a bare hand.

The hammer shown is a little too light, it requires too much muscle from the operator. More strength means less accuracy, increasing the risk of an accident. Better to use a heavier hammer.

Or you use a press, which I guess you don't have, but perhaps a friend or local workshop does have.

HTH

:huh: For real!! So it neads a real good whacking with som sledge hammer right? Thanks Dav. You got exactly what I meant. But it does not look knakered does it? After deliberate attempts, I gave up and put it back. But will see what I can do. Thanks for the imense info. My fear was to break the prop into two..

B)

I wouldn't bash the cup too hard - it's possible to bend the yoke.

Les.

So Les your advice is on tender hammerings right? I tried some "gentle" batterings on the first UJ (towards the T casing) which also never gave up until I used some pressure. It gave away finally though. Hmmmmm (in a Bart Simpson manner) Is it possible the yoke can rust into the shaft? Now I am getting scared fo doing something wrong....... :(

i think i read it right

if you place the uj in the vise with a sutibale socket like you used for the other one aply a fair amount of pressure threw the vice then a few taps will make it pop out your more just jolting it and if it moves slightly the pressure from the vice will shoot it out

dave