Intercooler placement for AC fitted Disco?

Warthog

Well, Just finished night shift (best shift for daft ideas) Anyway, in my madness i came up with an idea :blink:

As im aware fitment of a large intercooler on AC equipped Series 1 Disco's is a NO GO. So can anyone see any reason why not to place it on top of the engine and Fab a scoop for the bonnet? Like a Scooby...

Forgive me for any stupidity and lack of thought! Its early..........

Any comment welcome

Mark

I would suggest you look at one of the more efficient ones that replaces the original but sits in the same location, Allisport make one, I am sure the others will as well. The gains are not as great as a full width one but still worth having I think (still on my shopping list!)

I don't think a bonnet scoop will work well. Mo Murphy had such an installation on his 90 but I don't think you get too much airflow through the scoop without a lot of careful positioning of the scoop to take into account the aerodynamics, which probably needs a wind tunnel!

I particularly recall reading in a magazine a while back, of somebody who did this type of installation (I have a feeling it was on a supercharged V8 but I can't remember the detail) and they ended up with a big scoop right at the front of the bonnet because placing it further back got hardly any airflow through it - the aerodynamics of the Defender were tending to throw the air "up" over the bonnet and most of it missed the scoop or something. Bit above my level of understanding but it sort of makes sense!

So I am sure you could do it but it wouldn't be as simple as cutting a hole in the bonnet and breaking out the pop riveter, if you wanted to get the best from it :)