whistling screeching noise

Robot_Roo

Hello Guys I'm fairly new to the forum,really enjoy reading all the post's(kept me occupied for hours!!) I have recently changed the cylinder head on my 300 tdi disco, It running and the heater works again, but when i change gear and the revs get up, there is a whistling, screeching noise coming from the front. Have I missed something!!! Also ther deffo seems to be a lack of power too, max speed 60 mph. Has any on got any ideas????

Thanks Roo :)

Hello Guys I'm fairly new to the forum,really enjoy reading all the post's(kept me occupied for hours!!) I have recently changed the cylinder head on my 300 tdi disco, It running and the heater works again, but when i change gear and the revs get up, there is a whistling, screeching noise coming from the front. Have I missed something!!! Also ther deffo seems to be a lack of power too, max speed 60 mph. Has any on got any ideas????

Thanks Roo :)

Check to see if you connected the turbo hoses up again properly, and that the pipe from turbo to manifold hasn't popped off.

No it is all in one piece running the full length of the head.

The two lower bolts on my inlet manifold had been replaced by a previous owner at some point with two that were not quite long enough... When I replaced my head gasket and tightened the bolts they initially held but once running the outer 5mm or so of the thread, which the two bolts were held by, stripped without me knowing... it made a horrible screaming/ screechy noise for a few days which then dissappeared- along with all the of gasket at the bottom of the four inlet ports!

The missing section of gasket only allowed my turbo to boost to about 0.3 bar and I could only get about 55 MPH max. One new gasket fitted and the two bolts replaced with M8 stud to the full depth of the holes (along with a tweak to the wastegate actuator!) and I am back to 1 bar of boost and no horrible noises.

No it is all in one piece running the full length of the head.

The two lower bolts on my inlet manifold had been replaced by a previous owner at some point with two that were not quite long enough... When I replaced my head gasket and tightened the bolts they initially held but once running the outer 5mm or so of the thread, which the two bolts were held by, stripped without me knowing... it made a horrible screaming/ screechy noise for a few days which then dissappeared- along with all the of gasket at the bottom of the four inlet ports!

The missing section of gasket only allowed my turbo to boost to about 0.3 bar and I could only get about 55 MPH max. One new gasket fitted and the two bolts replaced with M8 stud to the full depth of the holes (along with a tweak to the wastegate actuator!) and I am back to 1 bar of boost and no horrible noises.

Thanks for giving me a nudge in the right direction, will start to investigate!!1 :)

Its worth pointing out that depending on how bad the leak is, you can cause the turbo to overspeed, which can (and will if left unchecked) kill the turbo.

So if your driving it around in the meantime, take it easy and try not to drive along with the turbo screaming for mercy!

Big big thanks guys!! I found the problem I had left the two lower bolts off the air intake manifold!!! Doh!!!

I notice my tappets are tapping a bit, I set them according to instructions, the only thing is when the valve is fully open how can you tell!! I basically turned the crank till the spring on the opposite number( say no 8 for no 1) was fully down and compressed is that the best way of doing it??