Series Hubs

Lurch89

I have recenlt rebuilt the axles and brakes with new drums and cylinders on my serirs 2a. But now have the problem of when i put the drums and the small fixing screw back into place in the hub the axles cant turn. However when i dont place the screw back into the hub the axle can move freely. I cant check to see if it moves when driving as the engine has not yet been fully fitted. It could be a case of the hubs being tight on the drum brakes but the fact that it isnt affected when the screw is not inplace.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sam

It's your brake shoes binding.LWB or SWB? Back the snail cams off ,Leave the screws off, fit the wheel, give the brake pedal a few pumps to centralise the shoes and try again. If it's a LWB or a SWB with 11'' brakes make sure the brake shoes are sitting square with the backing plate by adjusting the steady screws in or out. If it is the rear brakes (11'') make sure you haven't mixed up the leading and trailing shoes. The peg on the shoes that the snail adjusters bear against are in slightly different positions.

Bill.

Its a short wheel base, with 10" rims on it. The snail cams have been wound right back but, that does sound a good idea to centre it. I wasnt sure if they were just touching as they were new.

Thanks

Sam

I have recenlt rebuilt the axles and brakes with new drums and cylinders on my serirs 2a. But now have the problem of when i put the drums and the small fixing screw back into place in the hub the axles cant turn. However when i dont place the screw back into the hub the axle can move freely. I cant check to see if it moves when driving as the engine has not yet been fully fitted. It could be a case of the hubs being tight on the drum brakes but the fact that it isnt affected when the screw is not inplace.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sam

Don't take it lightly. I think it will affect the thing.