Hub Retaining Nut Size?

Hi, Can anyone tell me what size socket I will need to undo the Hub nuts on a 1990 Defender 90.....it the rear axle with Disc brakes. I want t make sure I have the right tools before I start the job of replacing shot wheel bearings. I've looked at the Tech Archive and found some great instructions but no sizes.

Thanks

Malc

Hi, Can anyone tell me what size socket I will need to undo the Hub nuts on a 1990 Defender 90.....it the rear axle with Disc brakes. I want t make sure I have the right tools before I start the job of replacing shot wheel bearings. I've looked at the Tech Archive and found some great instructions but no sizes.

Thanks

Malc

Possibly best to buy a hub nut socket like this to do the job properly

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Wheel-Bea...%3A1%7C294%3A50

as the socket needs to be quite deep really. This was just the first one that came up on ebay when i searched. Not really expensive adn will enable you to do it easily. Oh and its 52mm.

Possibly best to buy a hub nut socket like this to do the job properly

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Wheel-Bea...%3A1%7C294%3A50

as the socket needs to be quite deep really. This was just the first one that came up on ebay when i searched. Not really expensive adn will enable you to do it easily. Oh and its 52mm.

I have one of these from Britpart, distorted on first use, did not undo the nut, complete rubbish and a waste of my time.

Ensure you get one that is robust enough to do the job.

John

I have one of these from Britpart, distorted on first use, did not undo the nut, complete rubbish and a waste of my time.

Ensure you get one that is robust enough to do the job.

John

The nut shouldn't be that tight that it twists the box spanner! I suspect it's been well over-torqued.

I wouldn't spend 18 quid for a chromed socket when a box spanner is more than up to the job.