Horn wiring puzzle

Guest wunntenn

Guest wunntenn

My horn packed in (Defender 110, F reg 1989, TD19j model and it was still the original horn so 10 years past its best), so fitted a new one but it wont work, and I seem to have no detectable current at the horn end of the wiring.

I pulled the cowl off the steering wheel to have a look at the switch and found a live black wire floating about, one end of which is joined into the wire connector with the headlights dip/flash connection, the other end a clean break.

As the horn end of the wiring appears to be purple/black and I can see a purple black wire going into the depths of the switching behind the steering wheel, I assume thats the same wire, but have not as yet got into all that gubbins as it looks a little more than a five minutes job to dismantle.

Question - any suggestions where the black wire coming off the lights might have gone originally? It appears to be part of the original fittings but I cannot determine where it might have disconnected itself from. Was it anything to do with the horn?

On that vintage and original wiring, black is ground / chassis / 0V / negative. This shouldn't affect the horn, as that needs a live feed (probably brown, battery feed) and the horn end is earthed.

I knew I should have brought my wiring diagram to work ...

Dsc01015.jpg

the black should be connected to the pin as above [horn/indicator/dip/flaher stalk]

the horn end cap of the stalk will clip on/off, take it off & check the wire that runs inside the stalk, sounds like it's broken within the tube.

Guest wunntenn

Hi Ralph - looks similar to what I've got. The black wire with the purple wire piggyback has me confused though - where does the black wire normally go to? At the moment I have it taped to the steering column (bit of white tape). Its not very long so it cant be going far? However is my assumption correct that the black/purple wire in the background is the horn wire?

post-6909-1245269031_thumb.jpg

the horn push has 2 fingers inside so IIRC 1 is a 12v feed [purple wire] & other is the earth wire [black] inside the horn push end cap is a brass ring on a nylon insulator, so when the ring touches the 2 fingers the circuit is complete & horn sounds.

something like this rough diagram.

your broken black wire goes here in the yellow circle with the other purple wire.

post-20-1245269929_thumb.jpg

post-20-1245270449_thumb.jpg

further to the above, in your photo, look at the other purple wire right next to it is a broken wire end termination, just above the apex of the central red arrow head, that's where the broken black wire should be connected, as per my photo above :D