Frustrating question.... tube sizes!

Bowie69

I need a couple of 6-8" lengths of tube suitable for making a socket on a chassis outrigger where the windscreen hoop comes down the bulkhead and sits on top of it, something along the lines of what you can see on the front outrigger in this pic (credit to Dirty Diesel for the pic):

george005.jpg

It's pretty common, from what I can see.... Thing is though, I have been to just about every engineering shop in the east Somerset area, and no-one seems to have any offcuts, some even suggest "you won't anything to fit on the outside of that, it's just the way with tube". It's been done, a huge number of times, so must be possible to get hold of, anyone any idea where, and what the dimensions are? I assumed thin wall stufff (2mm or so) wouldn't be up to the job, but may be wrong.

Nearly forgot, the tube is 45mm OD CDS.

Failing the above, my other option is to get a piece of round bar turned down by a mate of mine :)

Thanks in advance :)

Bowie.

I need a couple of 6-8" lengths of tube suitable for making a socket on a chassis outrigger where the windscreen hoop comes down the bulkhead and sits on top of it, something along the lines of what you can see on the front outrigger in this pic (credit to Dirty Diesel for the pic):

george005.jpg

It's pretty common, from what I can see.... Thing is though, I have been to just about every engineering shop in the east Somerset area, and no-one seems to have any offcuts, some even suggest "you won't anything to fit on the outside of that, it's just the way with tube". It's been done, a huge number of times, so must be possible to get hold of, anyone any idea where, and what the dimensions are? I assumed thin wall stufff (2mm or so) wouldn't be up to the job, but may be wrong.

Nearly forgot, the tube is 45mm OD CDS.

Failing the above, my other option is to get a piece of round bar turned down by a mate of mine :)

Thanks in advance :)

Bowie.

I went to a tube bending place behind where I work, and took a off cut of the roll cage, and they cut me abit off the right size for a fiver.

45mm OD you say , Mmm I recon 50.8 CDS clubman 500 will sleeve nicely over it , My wing bars are 45mm and the recieving sockets are 50.8 and they fit very snug ,

In fact I have a few off cuts left over from my cage build , Thats if you want to venture into Bristol .

Jase, can I also have a couple of off cuts???? I need a pair for my external frame. I'd already flagged up 51 x 3mm CDS as being suitable but, as I've not got to that just yet, I hadn't got round to hassling people who might have leftovers. It would be a shame to miss an opportunity like this :D

Are you coming up to Billing??? If so, I could do you a swap for something with alcohol in B)

45mm OD you say , Mmm I recon 50.8 CDS clubman 500 will sleeve nicely over it , My wing bars are 45mm and the recieving sockets are 50.8 and they fit very snug ,

In fact I have a few off cuts left over from my cage build , Thats if you want to venture into Bristol .

That would be fab, really much appreciated :i-m_so_happy: Let me know what you want for them, I can throw some coins your way :)

Pete,

I can collect from Jase in Portishead if you like?

That would be even more fantabulous, would save a 3 hour round trip from the depths of Zummerzet! :i-m_so_happy:

This is what this forum is all about, very proud of it :wub: :wub: :wub::i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy: :i-m_so_happy:

3hour round trip :( Is this via Exeter :lol:

Takes me 25mins from mine to my sister in Blackford .

I always allow 3 hours, for some reason traffic always seems to conspire against me :(

I will have a sort out tomorrow and let Bish know . ;)

Thanks Jase :)

Pete,

The six inch and the four inch lengths should be long enough. - an M10 edge distance of 20mm is plenty so that would leave 60mm between the bolts if you used two bolts in the 100mm section.

The alternative is of course to look for a tube that will fit inside your cage tubes. Just look for a thicker wall.

Or - plug the end with an M16 nut welded in and bolt through the outrigger?

Let me know if you want the bits of tube and I will collect from Jase.

Jase - are you at the yard tomorrow am?

Thanks Bish/Jase,

The 4 and 6" lengths sound like they will do the job :)

I had considered internal tubing, bu thick(er) wall stuff seemed even rarer than external stuff.... :(

Cheers,

Pete.