winch hardware

gsr341

hi

im soon to be installing my 8274s on my landy ,

have ordered sum warn remote sockets to mount front and rear so i can operate the winches away from the vehicle using the remote if need be

i also intend to fit switches in the cab and at each winch , where is the best place to buy water proof switches from ?the push type , push on ,when you let go they return and switch off , you know the type <_<

i plan on using heavey duty welding cables from the batterys to the winch , any reason not to use this stuff (will also run a negitive straight back to the batt)

any one any recomendations on the above .....

also now require a synthetic winch line , 120' whats the best for price

plasma

dymena-bow rope

marlow (although that means dealing with SR :( )

eurosteel

cheers

Dafydd

Vehicle Wiring Products have some sort of waterproof mom-off-mom ones IIRC

RogueVogue on here was doing the Marlow rope at a very good price, not sure if he still is. Nick?

I got my Dyneema from Bowyer because at the time it was slightly cheaper than the Plasma 12, but not close to the price Nick was selling at. No complaints with mine besides the fact that it is Argie blue :lol:

switches are knowns as "Mom-Off-Mom"

monentary on-Off -momentary on

there are pics of mine in the tech archive "8274" thread

Welding wre is perfect and recommended for the supply cables.

Winch rope down to personal choice

I have Amsteel blue from www.rockstomper.com (superb to date)

and a spare Plasma12

I'd recommend using 100ft and getting an extension, that way you get more power from the winch on short pulls.

downside is possible rerigging on really long pulls.

Amsteel is excellent - takes a good beating very well, like dogs, women and walnut trees

Dyneema Bowrope is also very good and can take more general abuse than the others except the sudden massive stretch forces of wheel assisted winching in competitions. This is used a lot by the military special forces/secret squirrels

Plasma 12 is the best competition rope as it will take much more stretch but it is more susceptable to hard core abuse in working conditions- it is also the prettiest and is what LR are using in orange form on G4.

not sure how well it works with pulley blocks.

may well be fine with the OEC one ( I need another of those BTW)

the superwinch one would ruin it is a blink of an eye.

Amsteel would be my first choice as it is more reasonably priced than the others on the market.

I would like to get hold of some of the orange stuff as I haven't seen that as yet, at least it'll be different.

shows are always best for deals IMHO

I see D44 are selling yellow currently.

For in cab switch I fitted a huskey swtich from D Bowyer but oddly it deosn't seem to have lasted very long. Have now pillaged an EW switch from the Disco to use instead which I much preffer though SWMBO isn't so keen on not being able to open her window. So if anyone is breaking a Disco I'm looking for a EW switch to replace the one that seems to have vanished ;)

i used DB switches for in the cab and on the out side they are winch controller switches from superwinch hand controllers and have a nice id plate [showing in/out]

rope i only had one 11mm plasma and i wont be buying another i now use bowrope 12mm it takes so much more abuse but its £275.00 with a yellow safty hook i havent broken one yet [11 is more than strong enough but the 12mm fills better and is a mind over matter thing imo]

allbrights buy davids the have bigger contacters and are about £6 dearer than what other pepole sel there albrights

be carefull when you price winch rope make sure you are getting quotes on the same length winch hook